• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

young and stupid..truck is a lemon..any recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ttoth

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?pennsylvania
My son age 19 bought his first truck. Truck was sold not as is but in good condition with a 30 day warranty.He picked up the truck and on the way home the brakes went.. turns out there was alot of damage..leaking gas in one of the tanks,fuel pump was bad.hole in tank,sway bar broke off,5 bad ujoints,whole brake unit including drums needed replaced and rear seals leaking..all of this within 3 days of getting the truck...he put 600 down and finaced 6600 dollars total he will pay around 8600 when paid off..Contacted the dealership was told to take truck to where the dealership has their work done and they would pay for it. Bill was a nice 495.00 for brakes alone which i paid because he didn't have the money and the dealership refused to pay. Still another 1500 is needed in repairs to make the vehicle safe. He needs the truck for work and the dealership doesn't want to pay for these repairs.another little item they didn't do was inspect it before he got it..We have emissions testing where we live the vehicle has no emission sticker and the inspection sticker is 4 months old...Please give me some info on recourse because this can't be legal..

JETX

Your post is confusing..... you say the truck has a warranty and the dealer sent you to their shop, yet you had to pay for the repairs and "the dealership refused to pay"???
Why did they refuse???

Is this warranty in WRITING??

As for your $495, consider filing a small claims case against their breach of contract to pay.

As for the other... your son has some problems. He has a legal obligation to inspect the vehicle before purchase. He apparently did not, as the problems you describe should have been obvious to any qualified mechanic. This would normally leave your son in a no-win situation. However, you claim that there is a warranty. What EXACTLY does the warranty say as to repairs, coverage, etc.??? If they provide for ALL repairs and costs, be sure to get them done during the warranty period. If they refuse to pay, then consider litigation. However, I doubt that the dealer didn't give themselves some kind of 'out' on the warranty, so he may have just gotten an expensive 'life lesson'.

As for the emissions issue, no help there. Pennsylvania puts the responsibility on the BUYER for emissions: "In order to maintain safe highways, the once-a-year safety inspection system requires that all used vehicles are inspected within ten days of sale unless a valid inspection sticker is displayed on the vehicle. The buyer is responsible to have the car inspected, which can be done at any Pennsylvania certified inspection station. If the vehicle is registered in an area of the Commonwealth participating in the emissions inspection program, the vehicle will also be required to have an emissions inspection."

T

ttoth

more info

The sticker on the window when he bought it said 30 day warranty. They told him they would pay for the repairs and he went where they sent him for the brakes. He offered to do the other repairs himself and they said they would pay for the parts which he was to get on their account at advanced auto. When he went to buy the parts they called the dealership for the credit card info which they gave them but the transaction was declined by the credit card comapny.The dealership told him he could buy the 3 yr warranty insurance that covered everything but when he went to sign the finance papers he was told by the owner of the dealership he couldn't get the warranty for the truck. Yes, you are right, he should of had someone check it but being young and stupid and wanting a truck that "looked good" he listened to the dealership who said it was in GOOD CONDITION and might i add, got book value for it...They didn't only lie to my son but they lied to myself and my husband.The only reason he even got the money for the brake job was because I went with my son and got on their crap.What a way for a young man to start out in life..I guess i should of taught him that there is alot of lying,cheating no good for nothin people in this world. Instead i taught him there is good in everyone and if you work hard in this life and treat people as you wish to be treated things will go smooth...BOY WAS I WRONG!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">