• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Facebook Question....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sportsmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My soon to be ex step-sister recently posted a comment below my status update on Facebook. It didn't state our names, however, it was directly linked to me. Therefore, everyone knew who she was talking about. In fact, one of my other friends even commented to her that she didn't know her but thought she was awful for saying such things about children regardless of how mad she was at me.

The "clean" version of what she posted is as follows:
"I guess it's better to marry a *wimp* who can't stand up for himself, have one kid that's gonna end up in jail, and the other that's gonna be gay, and still not lose any weight."

For the record, my husband and I have been happily married for 17 years. Obviously, how we act works for us. My son she thinks is gonna end up in jail is 10 years old. She thinks this because he got into a scuffle with her 9 year old nephew. My son she thinks is gonna be gay is 11 years old. She thinks this because he's not girl crazy. He's more focused on sports and school work. He doesn't act like her niece who is the same age and totally boy crazy-to the point her own step dad said he's worried about her starting middle school. Not to mention, so what if he does end up gay. I'll love him the same. However, there's one little girl that could squash that thought. He sends her text all the time asking her if she likes him. As far as me losing weight, I've lost 75 pounds.

My point is, all of these things, to me, can be proven false. My worry is, I'm friends on Facebook with my 11 year old, therefore, all of his friends from school also saw this horrible comment. I did quickly hide myself on his page in case it continued, but the damage had already been done.

I don't care what she says about me, but don't mess with my kids!

Could I possibly sue her?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, but you have no case.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My soon to be ex step-sister recently posted a comment below my status update on Facebook. It didn't state our names, however, it was directly linked to me. Therefore, everyone knew who she was talking about. In fact, one of my other friends even commented to her that she didn't know her but thought she was awful for saying such things about children regardless of how mad she was at me.

The "clean" version of what she posted is as follows:
"I guess it's better to marry a *wimp* who can't stand up for himself, have one kid that's gonna end up in jail, and the other that's gonna be gay, and still not lose any weight."

For the record, my husband and I have been happily married for 17 years. Obviously, how we act works for us. My son she thinks is gonna end up in jail is 10 years old. She thinks this because he got into a scuffle with her 9 year old nephew. My son she thinks is gonna be gay is 11 years old. She thinks this because he's not girl crazy. He's more focused on sports and school work. He doesn't act like her niece who is the same age and totally boy crazy-to the point her own step dad said he's worried about her starting middle school. Not to mention, so what if he does end up gay. I'll love him the same. However, there's one little girl that could squash that thought. He sends her text all the time asking her if she likes him. As far as me losing weight, I've lost 75 pounds.

My point is, all of these things, to me, can be proven false. My worry is, I'm friends on Facebook with my 11 year old, therefore, all of his friends from school also saw this horrible comment. I did quickly hide myself on his page in case it continued, but the damage had already been done.

I don't care what she says about me, but don't mess with my kids!

Could I possibly sue her?

davew128

IIRC your 11 year old isn't supposed to have a Facebook page since the minimum age is 13.....:cool:

There is also this tool called the delete button which can be used for posts others make to your page....failing that, one can also block specific users....:rolleyes:

Antigone*

Why didn't you just delete the post from your page? Change your privacy setting and "unfriend" this childish woman.

quincy

The husband comment (even when you have edited it for content here), and the comment on your weight, are insults. Insults rarely rise to the level of defamation. They are mean things to say, but the law protects the saying of mean things.

In addition, you can't prove false something that someone predicts will happen in the future (your one son's future gayness, your other son's future jailtime). I may predict that I will be a multi-billionaire in the future, but no one, including me, can prove that true or false (although signs certainly point to false ;)).

As Zigner said, you have the ability to sue anyone for any reason at all but, based on what you have posted here, you have no legal basis for a suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">