• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Letter from cult leader

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anticult

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I just got a letter from an attorney telling me to erase ALL reference to the cult leader and all copyright infringement.

The letter pointed out that somewhere in the forum it was said that he didn't pay his taxes, I immediately found that post and edited the user's post to be worded "it's my opinion, I think, it's not a fact, just my opinion".

There is no copyright infringement that I'm aware of, I scanned the whole forum looking for any text that wasn't in quotes and referencing the book's name and author.

Should I edit all personal reference to the cult leader and send the attorney a letter telling him that it has been done, or just edit it and not send anything to the attorney?

cyjeff

I will lay a bet that it is the popular religion with many celebrities.

They are KNOWN for having a very vigorous approach to anything that approximates defamation to their beliefs.

You will want to talk to local counsel.

anticult

I will lay a bet that it is the popular religion with many celebrities.

They are KNOWN for having a very vigorous approach to anything that approximates defamation to their beliefs.

You will want to talk to local counsel.
Nope it's not Tom Cruise's religion, if that's the one you're referring to.

It's some other even wackier one.

anticult

I was reading the Communications Decency Act and found this:

- If you passively host third-party content, you will be fully protected under Section 230.

- If you exercise traditional editorial functions over user submitted content, such as deciding whether to publish, remove, or edit material, you will not lose your immunity unless your edits materially alter the meaning of the content.

All the information on the forum about this particular cult leader has been provided by the users who were ex-cult members.

So can I relax and take my time looking for a cheap lawyer? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">