• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

autobiography

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Voodoojunkie

I'm writing an autobiography on the life and times of a tattoo artist from New Hampshire. In my book I have completely changed the names of all persons involved and have been general with character descriptions. As the book currently reads, no one directly involved with my story is called out beyond a shadow of a doubt. However, should someone do background research on a tattoo convention I attended during the time period mentioned in my book, my former bosses name and tattoo shop name are linked to me. T-shirts of this convention were printed with everyones name and which shop they worked for. My question is, can that research be used in a court of law attacking the written word in my book as libel? Even though in my book I never once mention which town I worked in as a tattoo artist, or even the name of the shop. As written my book should not be considered libel. Correct?

FlyingRon

Truth is a defense to libel.
Of course, that won't prevent someone from suing you.
Unless there is some particular information that you had a duty to keep private, it's unlikely that you have any real cause for concern.

Of course you could always sue yourself for the unauthorized autobiography.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">