• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoiding legal issues from forum postings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leopard

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I sometimes post on internet forums regarding issues or conflicts that I've had (or am having) with other persons. To avoid legal problems, I never use the persons real name and I try to avoid giving any other information that might clearly identify who I'm talking about. And I'm careful to express what I say about them as my opinion, not as a fact. I hope this is sufficient to keep it from being slander, defamation or anything like that.

It is possible that the person I write about may find what I write (a few people know what my handle is) and could make an educated guess that I'm referring to them. Would the precautions I take be sufficient to defend against someone trying to sue me for what I write on a forum?

tessa

I agree/ Be Truthful. If you post on internet forums never use real names. Never write anything you know is completely false. Even with opinions, sometimes if the opinion is defamatory and unfounded it still could end up in some type of legal action. Be cautious.
Never use the internet as a venting tool. Sometimes we say things we later regret when we are angry. If you do decide to publish statements or material, make sure it is truth to the best of your knowledge especially when referring to another person.

Do not make statements about another if you have no way of backing up your claims.
Don't forget- even if astatement is considered defamatory, but it is the truth, it is very hard to sue someone for that...

leopard

I am careful in what I say online about another person but...

I have thought that as long as I do not disclose that persons identity, that alone is sufficient to keep me safe from lawsuits over what I say online. Or at least make very unlikely they would win or even bring a suit. If I don't identify the person either directly or indirectly, is that sufficient regardless of what I might say about them?

Like say I have a company with a hundred employees. Bob is an employee and I'm confident that he is stealing from me although I have no clear proof of it. In reality though I am mistaken and Bob is not stealing. On a forum, I say "I have an employee, Jim (not his real name), who is stealing from me. blah blah". Assume my employees know I made that statement on line; Bob has even read it and he suspects I am referring to him. Even though my statement is false and defamatory, I do not think it is legally slander because I kept his identity secret.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

hazeysky

You would probably be ok as far as free from a lawsuit from what you explained here. But never become too confident. In the future either refrain from discussing certain issues or do it in a manner that a reasonable person couldn't tie what you are saying to another person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">