• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail bondsman/kidnapping???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AUTigers

My girlfriend was at her studio's dance recital Friday night, and a bail bondsman showed up about some warrant for something that happened 4 years ago. They allowed her to finish recital and then left to take her to go to Tuscaloosa (about 3 hours away). About 30 minutes after they left, she calls me and says if we come up with the $3000, they will not take her to jail. We couldn't come up with the money because it was so late. They continued to allow her to try and find the money for about 12 hours. In the mean time I spoke with the sheriff in Tuscaloosa county and he said there was no warrant for her arrest because her lawyer had taken care of it. The bondsman said she was definitely going to jail if we didn't come up with the money, but we decided not to pay. They took her to Tuscaloosa County Jail and they wouldn't book her because there was no warrant. Finally after 12-14 hours of freaking out, they let her go. I never thought to ask to see the warrant, but all they had was a printout from Tuscaloosa County's website with her mugshot and charges on it. Is this not kidnapping? Can we sue the bonding company?

BOR

You need to consult an attorney to see if the bail enforcement agents acted outside the scope of the bail agreement or statutory or common law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">