• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being accused of damaging equipment at a museum I volunteered at.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dieselducy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Ok here is the story. I volunteered at a bus museum and have been there for a year. Me and another volunteer there don't see eye to eye however I continued to help. Me and this individual were moving buses with a tow truck and it is obvious when moving vehicles like this in close quarters with no experience there will be damage. I was operating the tow truck and the other volunteer was spotting me. I followed his directions precisely however still backed into another non running bus there and damaged a mirror (under his direction). I have no problem with buying them a new mirror. Here is the problem though. The following day I went down there to help out briefly and had to leave early and this upset the other guy i was working with (who for some reason i believe has something against me) Anyway him, my son, and another voulenteer there finished up the work. My son came home and told me that 2 more buses got damaged while they were moving them with a tow motor. (my son witnessed what really happened and my son was NOT the one that damaged the other buses) Anyway today I get a text message from the museum director telling me I need to contact my insurance company because I damaged 3 buses (which I did not). My son also was there when the other volunteer lied directly to the director but he is delayed and was scared to intervene. The director pretty much believes anything the other volunteer says since he has been there for years.. Anyway. I plan on meeting with the director next week (with my wife and son) So I will have a witness on my behalf. the other volunteer has been there years and is not always honest as you can tell in this case. What if anything can this museum do to me and my family and is this a case of slander since I am being accused of something that happened when I was not even present at the museum? What should I say to the director when I meet him??
Thanks.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Ok here is the story. I volunteered at a bus museum and have been there for a year. Me and another volunteer there don't see eye to eye however I continued to help. Me and this individual were moving buses with a tow truck and it is obvious when moving vehicles like this in close quarters with no experience there will be damage. I was operating the tow truck and the other volunteer was spotting me. I followed his directions precisely however still backed into another non running bus there and damaged a mirror (under his direction). I have no problem with buying them a new mirror. Here is the problem though. The following day I went down there to help out briefly and had to leave early and this upset the other guy i was working with (who for some reason i believe has something against me) Anyway him, my son, and another voulenteer there finished up the work. My son came home and told me that 2 more buses got damaged while they were moving them with a tow motor. (my son witnessed what really happened and my son was NOT the one that damaged the other buses) Anyway today I get a text message from the museum director telling me I need to contact my insurance company because I damaged 3 buses (which I did not). My son also was there when the other volunteer lied directly to the director but he is delayed and was scared to intervene. The director pretty much believes anything the other volunteer says since he has been there for years.. Anyway. I plan on meeting with the director next week (with my wife and son) So I will have a witness on my behalf. the other volunteer has been there years and is not always honest as you can tell in this case. What if anything can this museum do to me and my family and is this a case of slander since I am being accused of something that happened when I was not even present at the museum? What should I say to the director when I meet him??
Thanks.
I would wait to see what happens when you meet with the director. Find out what sort of damage to the buses is being claimed. You tell your side of the story and the director will weigh what you say against what the other volunteer says.

In the meantime, check with your insurance company to see if the bus damage is covered. It won't hurt you to do this and it can be important to have this information on hand.

It is too early to be thinking of a defamation claim.

Good luck.

dieselducy

I would wait to see what happens when you meet with the director. Find out what sort of damage to the buses is being claimed. You tell your side of the story and the director will weigh what you say against what the other volunteer says.

In the meantime, check with your insurance company to see if the bus damage is covered. It won't hurt you to do this and it can be important to have this information on hand.

It is too early to be thinking of a defamation claim.

Good luck.
I will check but wouldnt that be insurance fraud to turn in a claim on some damage that I did not do?

quincy

I will check but wouldnt that be insurance fraud to turn in a claim on some damage that I did not do?
You misunderstood what I said. I did not say to file a claim with your insurance company. I said to find out from your insurer if damage of the type the director is claiming you did would be covered.

You will want to speak to the director to find out what the amount of damage is to the buses and how you are being connected to this damage. If you were not even at the museum at the time, it seems pretty clear that the director cannot hold you liable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">