• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for Slander: NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slug99

Three years ago I left a business partnership under very bad conditions. My investment money had been sunk, by my business parter, into his "other" company and claimed I still owed him for $180,000 of his "time" spent working for this "other" company (we were supposed to be 50/50 partners). After realizing I had no assets, no money, and no way of making money that would not be taken by my partner I left with the shirt on my back and two threats leveled at my life (one of which was documented by a police report).
I fought for two years in a civil case and managed only to get my name off the company (since all debt and creditors were directed toward me after I left). The company was still in business and still making money for a while, but then ceased most, if not all its opperations.
.....fast foward three years. Someone on the internet asked me why I was not still at the company and I gave the explanation above (almost verbatim)....with the added words of calling my ex partner a "Scumbag".
Well, the response was on a web forum and to my supprise my ex-partner found it and replied in an almost scary, stalker-like swiftness, and posted a message of his own....vicious in nature. Within minutes I had the moderators remove the entire thread. The next day though I recieved notice of a lawsuite being filed claiming slander.
What do I do?
The facts stated were true. The "scumbag" remark is oppinion.
What I did was stupid. I should *never* have said a thing and I let my guard down thinking that he was no longer in business, and no longer stalking me.
I spent $30,000 + dollars just to get my name off the company and remove myself from being liable for the debts that were being racked up after I left....I don't want to go thru that again.
Any advice??????

seniorjudge

slug99 said:
Three years ago I left a business partnership under very bad conditions. My investment money had been sunk, by my business parter, into his "other" company and claimed I still owed him for $180,000 of his "time" spent working for this "other" company (we were supposed to be 50/50 partners). After realizing I had no assets, no money, and no way of making money that would not be taken by my partner I left with the shirt on my back and two threats leveled at my life (one of which was documented by a police report).
I fought for two years in a civil case and managed only to get my name off the company (since all debt and creditors were directed toward me after I left). The company was still in business and still making money for a while, but then ceased most, if not all its opperations.
.....fast foward three years. Someone on the internet asked me why I was not still at the company and I gave the explanation above (almost verbatim)....with the added words of calling my ex partner a "Scumbag".
Well, the response was on a web forum and to my supprise my ex-partner found it and replied in an almost scary, stalker-like swiftness, and posted a message of his own....vicious in nature. Within minutes I had the moderators remove the entire thread. The next day though I recieved notice of a lawsuite being filed claiming slander.
What do I do?
The facts stated were true. The "scumbag" remark is oppinion.
What I did was stupid. I should *never* have said a thing and I let my guard down thinking that he was no longer in business, and no longer stalking me.
I spent $30,000 + dollars just to get my name off the company and remove myself from being liable for the debts that were being racked up after I left....I don't want to go thru that again.
Any advice??????

Q: The next day though I recieved notice of a lawsuite being filed claiming slander. What do I do?

A: Hire a lawyer immediately.

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
Q: The next day though I recieved notice of a lawsuite being filed claiming slander. What do I do?

A: Hire a lawyer immediately.

**A: I work in a lawsuite. It is on the penthouse of a downtown office building.

slug99

Yes,
I know I can't spell :eek: . I'm a bit shaken by all of this though.
Any way to fight this legaly without nearly bankrupting me (like last time)?

HomeGuru

slug99 said:
Yes,
I know I can't spell :eek: . I'm a bit shaken by all of this though.
Any way to fight this legaly without nearly bankrupting me (like last time)?

**A: now that's a subjective question.

justalayman

Has he made a claim as to the value of his suit? Have you even seen the filing?

Until you have some specifics, it is hard to give any advice or recommendation.

So the one that works best,,,,,,engage a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">