• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it blackmail if you retract your demand?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1j0e

I am located in Ohio.

Someone offered me money for helping him cheat on his exam in school. I accepted his offer and helped him, but now I think he's refusing to pay. I considered threatening to tell his instructor that he cheated if he doesn't pay (yes I know it sounds wrong, but the guy is refusing to pay). I know that's probably blackmail, but I want to know if it's still legally blackmail if I say I no longer want the money and then just tell him that I am going to report him to his instructor for cheating.

Of course I would still want him to pay, but is there any way I could get in legal trouble if I tell him that I no longer want the money? Again, sorry if this sounds wrong or inappropriate, I just want the money he owes me.

EDIT: clarification

Last edited:

1j0e

Once a crime has been committed, there are no give backs.
No, you misunderstood. I'm asking if it's blackmail if I retract my demand for the money, then make the threat. In otherwords is it blackmail to make a threat with no accompanying demand, even though I still expect him to pay. I'll edit my original post for clarity.

EDIT: clarification

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, you misunderstood. I'm asking if it's still blackmail if I retract my demand for the money, then make the threat. I'll edit my original post for clarity
Is there no honor amongst crooks?

1j0e

And you don't think you'll also get in trouble when it's reported to your school?
Who says I'm in school?

But no, I don't think the odds are high that a person in my position would get in trouble with his school for helping someone else cheat like this. I think it would be pretty hard to prove, even if he did somehow find out what school I go to and try to report me. And anyway, I probably wouldn't really report him, I just don't want to get in trouble for threatening him.

Eekamouse

Who says I'm in school?

But no, I don't think the odds are high that a person in my position would get in trouble with his school for helping someone else cheat like this. I think it would be pretty hard to prove, even if he did somehow find out what school I go to and try to report me. And anyway, I probably wouldn't really report him, I just don't want to get in trouble for threatening him.
Then don't threaten him.

Ladyback1

Or alternatively, I could threaten him legally so that way I also get the money he owes me
here's how court goes:

OP--I'm suing because he didn't pay me for a service I provided
Judge: and what service was that?
OP: cheating on a school exam
Judge: case dismissed!

1j0e

here's how court goes:

OP--I'm suing because he didn't pay me for a service I provided
Judge: and what service was that?
OP: cheating on a school exam
Judge: case dismissed!
No by threaten him legally, I mean legally threaten to report him to his instructor. (As opposed to illegally threatening him)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">