• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business facebook account hacked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ricacosta87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I was hacked in every way you can imagine. I went to local police, state police, FBI, tried to send email to IC3.gov, but nobody could help me. I think I know who did it, but I can't prove it. No one tried to rob me. They were just playing with my mind! How lovely. Anyway, my personal and my business Facebook pages also hacked.
For the last 18 months I have reported this to Facebook, but they just send me back a report saying they will look into it and nothing! Over and over I keep asking them to delete both pages because I've opened a personal and business page again... someone is using my phone number on facebook, so I can't use my phone number.
That is impersonation of not only just me but also my business account. I want to sue them!!
Can anybody tell me if I can do this?
Thanks

quincy

I was hacked in every way you can imagine. I went to local police, state police, FBI, tried to send email to IC3.gov, but nobody could help me. I think I know who did it, but I can't prove it. No one tried to rob me. They were just playing with my mind! How lovely. Anyway, my personal and my business Facebook pages also hacked.
For the last 18 months I have reported this to Facebook, but they just send me back a report saying they will look into it and nothing! Over and over I keep asking them to delete both pages because I've opened a personal and business page again... someone is using my phone number on facebook, so I can't use my phone number.
I suggest you secure all accounts after changing passwords and I suggest you get a new phone number. "Playing" with your mind is not compensable.

That is impersonation of not only just me but also my business account. I want to sue them!!
Thanks
I see no lawsuit that you could pursue against the unknown hacker who apparently has caused you no demonstrable harm.

Nothing you describe has anything to do with defamation, by the way.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks
Sure - you can sue the folks who you believe hacked you.

If you're asking if you can sue Facebook, then the answer is no...not successfully.

quincy

Sure - you can sue the folks who you believe hacked you.

If you're asking if you can sue Facebook, then the answer is no...not successfully.
Although it could be possible to sue because anyone can sue for pretty much any reason at all, there appears to be no damages. The hacker has caused no demonstrable or compensable harm.

A lawsuit would be pointless.

Dandy Don

Use a search engine to search for "Virginia Computer Forensics Attorneys" to discuss your situation with an experienced attorney in this specialized area to see what he/she suggests about how to handle your situation. Would you presume, even though you can't technically prove it, that you have lost business/orders because customers can't reach you now at the old number?

quincy

Use a search engine to search for "Virginia Computer Forensics Attorneys" to discuss your situation with an experienced attorney in this specialized area to see what he/she suggests about how to handle your situation. Would you presume, even though you can't technically prove it, that you have lost business/orders because customers can't reach you now at the old number?
A computer forensics attorney? Seriously?

ricacosta87 has not mentioned that his business has been harmed by the unknown hacker. He would have to demonstrate a business loss in order to support an award of damages ... and he would have to positively identify the hacker.

This is not an inexpensive undertaking, especially if the local police, the state police and the FBI have already said they cannot help.

I am all for sending people off to attorneys when it is warranted but I do not see that ricacosta87's post indicates it is warranted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">