• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a cop be sued for libel/slander/defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scootin

What is the name of your state? i live in colorado. but calif. is where it started.
long story short. in 1978 my girl friend turned up missing and in 1979 she was found dead. as you may know calif (sanjose) are working on cold case's an investigater came to my house and asked me to go downtown so they can ask me Questions so i meet them about 1 hr. later downtown well towards the end of his Questions he says he knows i killed her i was shocked and said F.U and went to leave i was stoped and was told i could not leave tell he ran my name in calif for wants / warents i had none so now he is and has talked to all my friends that i have now and in 1978 . including my step daughter's and told them that he is 99.9 % that i killed her. my Question is can he be telling friends and family that i did this. i am under investigation and waiting to tell they finish there investigation before i file a complant / sue for saying this to friends / family. Question do i have a case. thank you for any help and 1 more Question should i get a Lawyer do to this murder investigation. thank you again

dallas702

How does a person (or object) "turn up missing." If he/she/it "turned up", he/she/it is not missing. Did she turn up dead, or was she turned up dead, or was she dead and turned up when digging?

I don't know if you killed her, but you certainly killed our English language.

And, no...the cop shouldn't be telling people you killed her without proof and a guilty verdict after a trial. Can you sue him? Yeah, probably. Especially if they find someone else responsible for making her "turn up missing". But, you still have to prove actual damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">