• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I share photos of communication and actual communications with someone's employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

giordanioM

Can I legally share a photo of a handwritten note that was used by someone to extort me? The person is aware I took a photo of the note, which they described as a "receipt". The note sums up clearly made-up numbers, where a white collar professional amateurishly cleaned their own apartment which they subletted to me (also deceiving their landlord) and charged me with their hourly rate for what they said was 12 hours of cleaning. The extortion was that the person threatened if I did not pay, they would bring in contractors to assess a scratch in the wood floor that they said was made by me (no proof of this, and there was another occupant) and send me the much higher bill. This person now works for a prominent presidential candidate, and I want to know if sending the photo of the note they wrote (not false information) with a description of the transaction that occurred and threat that was made constitutes libel. It's true and factual, and it's a reproduction of their own writing. I understand that extortion can occur even if the threat involved does not describe criminal action, but merely the threat to incur greater financial costs. This person also had no right to make this threat, given they were subletting out of their own lease agreement, and the sublet contract did not include promises to provide additional funds beyond the deposit. I do not want to file a police report, and know this is a civil matter at best, and do not even want to sue. I do however want the politician (or his campaign) to be made aware of this person's character. I do not want to write malicious fabricated gossip, I wish to submit actual handwritten notes, lease agreements, and emails written by that person to me.

quincy

Can I legally share a photo of a handwritten note that was used by someone to extort me? The person is aware I took a photo of the note, which they described as a "receipt". The note sums up clearly made-up numbers, where a white collar professional amateurishly cleaned their own apartment which they subletted to me (also deceiving their landlord) and charged me with their hourly rate for what they said was 12 hours of cleaning. The extortion was that the person threatened if I did not pay, they would bring in contractors to assess a scratch in the wood floor that they said was made by me (no proof of this, and there was another occupant) and send me the much higher bill. This person now works for a prominent presidential candidate, and I want to know if sending the photo of the note they wrote (not false information) with a description of the transaction that occurred and threat that was made constitutes libel. It's true and factual, and it's a reproduction of their own writing. I understand that extortion can occur even if the threat involved does not describe criminal action, but merely the threat to incur greater financial costs. This person also had no right to make this threat, given they were subletting out of their own lease agreement, and the sublet contract did not include promises to provide additional funds beyond the deposit. I do not want to file a police report, and know this is a civil matter at best, and do not even want to sue. I do however want the politician (or his campaign) to be made aware of this person's character. I do not want to write malicious fabricated gossip, I wish to submit actual handwritten notes, lease agreements, and emails written by that person to me.
What you want to do seems awfully silly to me. In addition, it puts you at risk of a lawsuit.

I suggest you ignore the "threat" to charge you more for a scratch in the floor and, if it comes to it, let him take you to court to prove damages.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">