• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I stop someone from telling others about my past?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pick707

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Over 15 years ago, I was convicted of a charge for misappropriation of funds along with all other members of the company that I worked for. I was the Personnel / Payroll Manager for this company. We all received a conviction (felony) and was placed on probation. I since went to work for another company (a Homeowners Association) in the same type of position for over 10 years and have moved on to another company 1 1/2 years ago. One individual from the Homeowners Association found out about my past from another resident, who worked at the place where I made my monthly restitution payments. She now has copies of the entire file. I believe that she got the information from the lady who worked for the government. Anyway, she is now going around the Association telling everyone about my past and showing the document to everyone who will look at it. What can I or should I do about this. Most of the people are ignoring her, but there are some who have changed their type of thinking about me. Thanks for your help.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Over 15 years ago, I was convicted of a charge for misappropriation of funds along with all other members of the company that I worked for. I was the Personnel / Payroll Manager for this company. We all received a conviction (felony) and was placed on probation. I since went to work for another company (a Homeowners Association) in the same type of position for over 10 years and have moved on to another company 1 1/2 years ago. One individual from the Homeowners Association found out about my past from another resident, who worked at the place where I made my monthly restitution payments. She now has copies of the entire file. I believe that she got the information from the lady who worked for the government. Anyway, she is now going around the Association telling everyone about my past and showing the document to everyone who will look at it. What can I or should I do about this. Most of the people are ignoring her, but there are some who have changed their type of thinking about me. Thanks for your help.

This type of information is public record to begin with; there's virtually nothing you can do to prevent someone from finding out and telling someone else.

JETX

pick707;2551325What can I or should I do about this. Most of the people are ignoring her said:
Regrettably, there is really nothing you can do about it. Since she is simply telling the truth, there is no defamation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">