• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sue for harrassment, libel, slander Anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BostonGirl81

An ex high school classmate is using my info & photos to create fake social media accounts then friending everyone in our school... they have never made all out threats toward anyone... I have reported each & every one I have found but most social media platforms do not take down fake accounts (twitter etc) and the ones that do like facebook takew down my account as well until I jump through a million hoops each & every time while hiding behind rules to prevent me from knowing exactly who is doing it though by process of elimination I know who it is. I asked them to stop, I have contacted law enforcement but they are not doing anything illegal on both the state & federal level... they would first have to extort money or threaten someone with credible, believable harm before law enforcement will take any action. I have spoken with the local police, DA's office & FBI.

Can I sue the person doing it? I have plenty of evidence to prove it is them.

quincy

An ex high school classmate is using my info & photos to create fake social media accounts then friending everyone in our school... they have never made all out threats toward anyone... I have reported each & every one I have found but most social media platforms do not take down fake accounts (twitter etc) and the ones that do like facebook takew down my account as well until I jump through a million hoops each & every time while hiding behind rules to prevent me from knowing exactly who is doing it though by process of elimination I know who it is. I asked them to stop, I have contacted law enforcement but they are not doing anything illegal on both the state & federal level... they would first have to extort money or threaten someone with credible, believable harm before law enforcement will take any action. I have spoken with the local police, DA's office & FBI.

Can I sue the person doing it? I have plenty of evidence to prove it is them.
BostonGirl, do you live in Massachusetts?

A process of elimination to identify a person can help you with knowing who is doing this but it is generally not enough to take any legal action against the person.

Do you know why this person is impersonating you online?

BostonGirl81

BostonGirl, do you live in Massachusetts?

A process of elimination to identify a person can help you with knowing who is doing this but it is generally not enough to take any legal action against the person.

Do you know why this person is impersonating you online?

No I do not live in MA- and I know who it is because they slipped up and left evidence. I have no clue why they are doing it my HS class was 900 students- I had to go back and look the person up.

quincy

No I do not live in MA- and I know who it is because they slipped up and left evidence. I have no clue why they are doing it my HS class was 900 students- I had to go back and look the person up.
Okay. If you are not in Massachusetts, what state do you live in? Does the person you suspect of impersonation live in the same state? If not, which state does the person live in?

State names are important because the laws in each state vary in significant ways.

What leads you to believe that the postings are about you? What sort of "evidence" do you have that the person is whom you suspect?

And, finally, what exactly is being said or implied about you that you find objectionable?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">