• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I sue my ex wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mejones

I have hiv and i have not spoken to anyone about it because i am a public speaker well my ex wife os also but since out divorce proceedings she has used her platform to expose my status doing a conference she was holding, what are my legal rights am I able to sue her for defamation of character for anything just to stop her from exposing my personal information in regards to my health

quincy

I have hiv and i have not spoken to anyone about it because i am a public speaker well my ex wife os also but since out divorce proceedings she has used her platform to expose my status doing a conference she was holding, what are my legal rights am I able to sue her for defamation of character for anything just to stop her from exposing my personal information in regards to my health
What is the name of your state, mejones?

If what is communicated to others is TRUE, then it is not defamation. Defamatory statements are false.

But if you have made an effort to keep your HIV private, your ex-wife telling others of your HIV is an invasion of your privacy (publication of private facts).

How have you been affected by your ex-wife's disclosure of your medical information?

latigo

Your desire to maintain personal privacy is understandable. But why would you wish to publically expose an otherwise guarded condition with such a lawsuit? And one that would be a loser going in.

Makes no sense to me.

quincy

Your desire to maintain personal privacy is understandable. But why would you wish to publically expose an otherwise guarded condition with such a lawsuit? And one that would be a loser going in.

Makes no sense to me.
It makes sense if the harm to mejones is substantial and can be demonstrated, and the private information has been widely disseminated.

Also (and not that I think it necessarily applies here), cases where confidential or private information needs to be disclosed and discussed, there can be closed hearings and sealed records.

But facts really matter, including the nature of mejone's public speaking engagements, how his private information was disclosed by the ex-wife, and the state or states in question. Privacy laws are state-specific.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">