• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sue Someone for Making False Accusations ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raiten

Hey everyone, I have a situation here and I was hoping if someone could shed some light on my next course of action
Last week, my car was towed by a parking company and was kept in the parking lot with a chain blocking the exit.
In my frustration, I readjusted my car within the confines of the space but ended up accidentally hitting the accelarator causing my car's bumper to get trapped in the chain.So after a few horrid moments of readjustment and trying to unstuck my car, the parking security came up to me and started accusing me of attempting to run when all i did was try to untangled my car bumper from the chains. They continued to intimidate me by saying that I had caused damage to the surrouding stationary cars when it was evident that the only car damaged was mine. Futhermore,prior to the mishap I had already made a call to the carpark management and they told me that i could leave if I gave my staff ID with them. (Did not have enough cash on me at that moment) Hence I was waiting for a family member to arrive with the ID.
I am extremely displeased with their handling of the situation. Can I press any charges?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hey everyone, I have a situation here and I was hoping if someone could shed some light on my next course of action
Last week, my car was tolled by a parking company and was kept in the parking lot with a chain blocking the exit.
In my frustration, I readjusted my car within the confines of the space but ended up accidentally hitting the accelarator causing my car's bumper to get trapped in the chain.So after a few horrid moments of readjustment and trying to unstuck my car, the parking security came up to me and started accusing me of attempting to run when all i did was try to untangled my car bumper from the chains. They continued to intimidate me by saying that I had caused damage to the surrouding stationary cars when it was evident that the only car damaged was mine. Futhermore,prior to the mishap I had already made a call to the carpark management and they told me that i could leave if I gave my staff ID with them. (Did not have enough cash on me at that moment) Hence I was waiting for a family member to arrive with the ID.
I am extremely displeased with their handling of the situation. Can I press any charges?
No you can't. They did nothing illegal. You did.

raiten

No you can't. They did nothing illegal. You did.
So the part about them accusing me of trying to run despite it being my tragic mistake of readjusting my car in the same spot gone wrong resulting in damages to my own car instead. Plus, I stayed in the spot after and paid the fine.

thanks for the reply btw. appreciate it.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So the part about them accusing me of trying to run despite it being my tragic mistake of readjusting my car in the same spot gone wrong resulting in damages to my own car instead. Plus, I stayed in the spot after and paid the fine.

thanks for the reply btw. appreciate it.
"tragic mistake"? Oy! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You tried to run. Nobody buys your story.

quincy

Last week, my car was tolled by a parking company and was kept in the parking lot with a chain blocking the exit.
What is the name of your state, raiten?

I think more details are needed but, based solely on what you have said, there is no defamation if false accusations are made to you alone. Defamation requires third party "publication" (communication to a third person).

raiten

"tragic mistake"? Oy! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You tried to run. Nobody buys your story.
Alright. I see what you are trying to point out.Thank you for your honesty. I understand it may be hard to believe, but it was truly a mistake caused by my exhaustion and frustration with myself and the company in charge. And i DID pay my fine. I was waiting for someone to come with the money.
Assuming you give me the benefit of doubt, will I be able to press charges for false accusations. I apologize if it comes off as offensive that i asked the question in such a manner.

Just to clarify, I parked in a spot (in which most cars usually parked) and no towing happens in that area.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Alright. I see what you are trying to point out.Thank you for your honesty. I understand it may be hard to believe, but it was truly a mistake caused by my exhaustion and frustration with myself and the company in charge. And i DID pay my fine. I was waiting for someone to come with the money.
Assuming you give me the benefit of doubt, will I be able to press charges for false accusations. I apologize if it comes off as offensive that i asked the question in such a manner.

Just to clarify, I parked in a spot (in which most cars usually parked) and no tolling happens in that area.
TOLLING or TOWING?

What is tolling. But no you cannot press charges for false accusations. Not at all. They did NOTHING illegal.

quincy

Just to clarify, I parked in a spot (in which most cars usually parked) and no tolling happens in that area.
What is the name of your state?

raiten

What is the name of your state, raiten?

I think more details are needed but, based solely on what you have said, there is no defamation if false accusations are made to you alone. Defamation requires third party "publication" (communication to a third person).
Unfortunately, I am not from the the states. Thank you again for your reply.Again, do appreciate the feedback. I have to be honest and say that I was feeling pretty frustrated plus exhausted at that point and did something pretty well, for want of better word, suspicious. To describe exactly what happened and I'm being honest about it, first I re-parked my car. What i did was just a basic small 3 point turn in the locked parking slots so that i was now parked in the slot behind me. So, while readjusting my car to make it fit the parking slot, i guess my frustration got better of me and I went a bit too far out, and the chain blocking my exit got caught in my car's bumper. So, i tried to free my car by reversing and going forward and reversing but it was stuck fast till my bumper broke. (terrible judgment call which i regret till now) Basically i was in the same spot.Not much movements. The security guard came up to me and started yelling accusing me of trying to escape,creating a scene and started taking pictures of my broken bumper. The worse part is, I have previously spoken to the parking management and they have agreed to let me off at a reduced fine rate or alternatively they will hold my id card ransom until i pay. I was completely polite and cool about it.After all, a mistake is a mistake right.
If I were to ask an alternative question, what can they accuse me of although i have paid my fines?

quincy

Unfortunately, I am not from the the states. Thank you again for your reply.Again, do appreciate the feedback. I have to be honest and say that I was feeling pretty frustrated plus exhausted at that point and did something pretty well, for want of better word, suspicious. To describe exactly what happened and I'm being honest about it, first I re-parked my car. What i did was just a basic small 3 point turn in the locked parking slots so that i was now parked in the slot behind me. So, while readjusting my car to make it fit the parking slot, i guess my frustration got better of me and I went a bit too far out, and the chain blocking my exit got caught in my car's bumper. So, i tried to free my car by reversing and going forward and reversing but it was stuck fast till my bumper broke. (terrible judgment call which i regret till now) Basically i was in the same spot.Not much movements. The security guard came up to me and started yelling accusing me of trying to escape,creating a scene and started taking pictures of my broken bumper. The worse part is, I have previously spoken to the parking management and they have agreed to let me off at a reduced fine rate or alternatively they will hold my id card ransom until i pay. I was completely polite and cool about it.After all, a mistake is a mistake right.
If I were to ask an alternative question, what can they accuse me of although i have paid my fines?
Ahh. Well, FreeAdvice handles US law questions and legal concerns only.

Not only do defamation laws vary in significant ways from state to state in the US, they vary significantly from country to country.

If you wish to have your questions addressed, you will need to seek out help in your area of the world, whatever area that might be.

Eekamouse

If this didn't occur in the US, why are you posting here? This is US law only.

raiten

TOLLING or TOWING?

What is tolling. But no you cannot press charges for false accusations. Not at all. They did NOTHING illegal.
sorry, mistyped.:eek: God, I am ashamed. Ok. i see your point, no way I can press any charges. thanks for your opinion.

quincy

I think that the way the question is asked (What is the name of your state? US law only) confuses a lot of foreign visitors. It can be read as meaning that only if you are in the US do you need to name your state. Plus, this forum allows for foreign visitors to register and post, assuming if they do so that their questions will involve US law.

That said, it would be nice if all posters would identify their place of residence in their first post. It could save time. :)

Again, raiten, you need to seek out help in your country. The laws will be different.

raiten

Ahh. Well, FreeAdvice handles US law questions and legal concerns only.

Not only do defamation laws vary in significant ways from state to state in the US, they vary significantly from country to country.

If you wish to have your questions addressed, you will need to seek out help in your area of the world, whatever area that might be.
Alright. thank you so much anyways for the replies. My bad for assuming that it is generally applicable in all countries. Sorry for the trouble.Appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">