• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my company sue me for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laynestaley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi, my company has replaced 30 people with offshore workers from vietnam. When I leave for another job, I want to leave a scathing email to the whole department and the owner about how I feel about this, and also address the vietnam workers by saying that they should not be here, they're taking American jobs etc.

I DO NOT WANT AN OPINION ON THIS, PLEASE - I don't want to debate that here.

My question is, could I possibly get sued by the company for this? Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi, my company has replaced 30 people with offshore workers from vietnam. When I leave for another job, I want to leave a scathing email to the whole department and the owner about how I feel about this, and also address the vietnam workers by saying that they should not be here, they're taking American jobs etc.

I DO NOT WANT AN OPINION ON THIS, PLEASE - I don't want to debate that here.

My question is, could I possibly get sued by the company for this? Thanks
Grow up :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

antrc170

Yes you could be sued, but probably not successfully. So long as you did not include any false statements, or misleading statements you're covered. Key words are..in my opinion...i think...i feel.

It is a childish act that will not sit well with future employers though. I wouldn't want to hire someone so unprofessional and crass.

Antigone*

...And at the end of the day his scathing rant would not accomplish a darn thing ~ and that's a fact, Jack:cool:

commentator

Yes, it could accomplish something. It could cause you some difficulties, though it would be totally meaningless to the people who receive it. In the first place, if you mailed such a letter, the first person who opens the mail would throw it in the trash can. Emails would be deleted. What do you think, that they are going to post it on the bulletin board and read it to the Vietnamese workers in their own language so they'll know how you feel? Are you planning to get up on a table, a la Norma Rae and yell all this out before you leave? That could probably get you thrown off the premises and given a misconduct discharge.

You're not important enough to these people to have them sue you. Any fool with a mouth can express an opinon. You could even fix a sandwich sign and walk in front of their business for a month. Doubt if it would do them much harm and would sure waste your time.

In the first place if I were receiving a severance package, I'd make very sure my severance check had cleared before I sent off this scathing communication giving in to your desire to vent your feelings.

I'd also have my unemployment in place and be legitimately drawing benefits due to my lack of work lay off. If they are letting you stay there until you do find another job, they are being awfully good to you.

I'd also be very concerned about future references from this company if I had spent any length of my work history time with them. Even if you have another job to go to, you might need them at a future point down your work history.

Have you checked with your state Department of Labor about filing a Trade petition to obtain retraining and additional jobless benefits in your particular company's case? That sort of research would be a lot more helpful than telling off these people who do not give a hoot about you or how you feel about what has happened to you and are doing nothing illegal.

Last edited:

laynestaley

I'm appauled at the idiocy of some of the posts I've recieved here, regarding technology (someone even thought I was going to send LETTERS! Lol, please), how they are deleted, etc.

My advice to those who responded - STICK TO THE LAW, you know NOTHING apparently, of technology, of "future job requests' or, well, basically apparently ANYTHING except law.

To that end, it sounds like I have my answer - "Technically" i could be sued, although very unlikely, and even if I was, it wouldn't stick.

And as for me not being "important" anymore - I used to be VERY important - critical to the company actually - until this company was legally allowed to bring in people from another country to do my work - Something I don't think they should have been allowed to do.

Thanks - and again, STICK to your law books.

Oh yeah, and LEARN SOME MANNERS.

Antigone*

I'm appauled at the idiocy of some of the posts I've recieved here, regarding technology (someone even thought I was going to send LETTERS! Lol, please), how they are deleted, etc.

My advice to those who responded - STICK TO THE LAW, you know NOTHING apparently, of technology, of "future job requests' or, well, basically apparently ANYTHING except law.

To that end, it sounds like I have my answer - "Technically" i could be sued, although very unlikely, and even if I was, it wouldn't stick.

And as for me not being "important" anymore - I used to be VERY important - critical to the company actually - until this company was legally allowed to bring in people from another country to do my work - Something I don't think they should have been allowed to do.

Commentator, Tranq, Zig, steve and antrc, I'm buying and pouring ~ what's your poison:D

Proserpina

You're going to be laughed at by what, an entire company?

Is that really what you want? The last impression you leave with these people is going to be that you're worthy only of ridicule?

You're not critical. You apparently never were (otherwise...well, it's obvious, no?).

Move along with your life.

(Btw - your namesake didn't do too well for himself, did he?)

Mass_Shyster

Commentator, Tranq, Zig, steve and antrc, I'm buying and pouring ~ what's your poison:D
Tonight it's Red Bull. Tomorrow, Guinness.

Also, I wonder what Hamdi's legal fees were when he was sued by Intel for doing exactly what OP proposes.

But he won, so it doesn't matter, does it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">