• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a person suing me subpoena my employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kurtcobain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm in the process of being sued by a real sicko. I'm concerned that they may subpoena internet activity records at my work - not because I have something to hide, but because it would be embarassing.

Can they do that? Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not aware of any law prohibiting it, but it seems to me that we'd need more information to know whether he'd be likely to be granted such a subpoena. What relevance would your work internet records have to his case?

And what are you doing at work that you would find embarrassing to have exposed?

swalsh411

You're making a huge assumption that your employer would even have this activity logged. Logging all internet activity for each user on a network is very resource intensive and according to most CIO's not even close to being worth the effort. Unless you work for a secretive government agency or a very security-minded company, the chances your employer could provide a log of everything you have done online at work is slim to none.

mistoffolees

I'm in the process of being sued by a real sicko. I'm concerned that they may subpoena internet activity records at my work - not because I have something to hide, but because it would be embarassing.

Can they do that? Thanks
They can request a subpoena.

Then, several things could happen:

- You could move to have it quashed - as irrelevant.
- Your employer could move to have it quashed as unduly burdensome or for another reason
- Your employer could state that such records do not exist (if that's the case)

kurtcobain

They can request a subpoena.

Then, several things could happen:

- You could move to have it quashed - as irrelevant.
- Your employer could move to have it quashed as unduly burdensome or for another reason
- Your employer could state that such records do not exist (if that's the case)
They are accusing me of anonymous liebel on the internet - and they could possibly argue that I probably did it while at work. Seems like that would be relevant.

I'm not embarssed of things I've done at work, but just the process of being served like that and having work involved.

Antigone*

Can they do that? Thanks
They can certainly try, but they'd have to get a judge to agree. So, what would be embarrassing about your internet activity at work?

quincy

A question, Kurt: In recent posts you have said that someone was "threatening to sue" and here you say that you are in the "process of being sued" and in another thread you say that you are "currently in a lawsuit."

Have you been served with a complaint already?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">