• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can public records, BBB records and WHOIS records constitute Libel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Truthful

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

the situation:
A car was advertised on ebay.
It was in California
I knew nothing about the cars other than it was beautiful.
The seller has very good ebay feedback, and after several telephone conversations, in which the seller represented that he had won several car show awards with his cars(the same marque and model as the car I was considering)I bought it, at his request after the ebay auction ended, and paid extra to have it repainted to concours standards and to have different wheels and an airconditioning system installed, and had the seller ship it to South Carolina.
I found out after I paid for the car that the seller has a history of taking creative license with his descriptions.
When the car arrived, it was no where close to as advertised-I had an experienced car show judge for the National enthusiasts organization celebrating these cars review and test drive the car, It had serious safety issues that would have to be repaired to put the car in service, and even more serious condition issues that were not harmonious with its advertisement.
I informed the seller of the mechanical and condition issues and I asked the seller to take back the car-he refused. I had the mechanical issues repaired, and initiated the repair of the condition issues-more serious issues that deviate horribly from the advertisement have been uncovered as the conditional issues are investigated and corrected.

The seller has a history of changing his business entity(be it his ebay name, his business type, his state of incorporation...) to distance himself from his business history.
I simply want to post some of his public records, and those of his business posturings, and my example of his work and advertisement thereof to allow others enough information to make a more educated purchase decision than I was able to.

The question:
Can posting the complete, exact, and unedited contents of:
1) A verifiable Ebay history of name changes
2) The actual contents of an ebay advertisement used to sell a car .
3) The title of car the showing the owner before the sale
4) The shipping documentation.
5) A series of pictures and formal judging sheets taken by and filled out by an experienced National car show judge formally trained on the specific car in question.
6) The Repair bills, Photographs illustrating as delivered condition and after repair condition, and opinions of an ASE certified Master Mechanic, and An Automotive Restoration Professional who has wonnumerous awards at the Pebble Beach Concours, The Amelia Island Concours, and several Marque specific concours car shows, and has had his work preferred by his clients to that to the Ferrari Factory just outside Maranello, Itally.
7) Dated public records taken directly from the website of the Secretary of State of any State.
8) Dated Better Business Bureau Results of open and closed businesses related to those named in the public records mentioned above
9) Publicly and freely available WHOIS search records

And this statement:
Here is some of the publicly available history of this seller and an example of his one of his and I quote, "completely restored", cars, exhibiting his advertisement, his worksmanship and the quality of his restoration services, draw your on conclusions about doing business with this gentleman in what ever business entity he may be involved in.

constitute libel or create any legal issues that could not be successfully and easily defended?

Thanks.

racer72

Grow up and use proper legal methods to resolve your problem. You are taking yourself down the the seller's level. It is obvious from your post you did not CYA when you bought the car now you want to play childish games. Even if the stuff you want to do is legal, it will not stop the seller from suing and are you willing to spend possibly thousands of dollars defending your immaturity?

Truthful

Let me understand your reply.
In essence what you have said is: It is perfectly acceptable for a criminal act to be committed against someone who has no experience in the arena he places himself?

Perhaps this makes a difference...
I did not mention that already have an attorney, and in exploring the costs involved in mounting full on fraud litigation, his counsel is that I would end up with spending a great deal of time, a great deal of money, and only the satisfaction of knowing that there was a judgement against the seller...which is the reason for my question.

Adding to the post another public record, the judgement against the seller after the result of the suit for fraud.

I honestly have never considered it childish to tell the truth, the whole truth, so help me God, in any and all circumstances.

The difference between the levels of the seller and myself is I do not consciously misrepresent anything.
Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">