• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you sue someone for accusing for posting a comment on Facebook?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shocked17

California- One of my "friend" heard a rumor from someone else that I supposedly said something about (her which is not true), and went on Facebook and started accusing me. I was so confused and I didn't want to reply back on the Internet for everyone else to see because I thought it was a joke. I called her and asked her what she's talking about and told me I should tell her to her face instead of going around talking sh*t. I denied it cuz it wasn't true and told her to bring that person over so the three of us can talk and so I can confront this person. She doesn't want to tell me the name but still goes on Facebook telling people what I supposedly said and now people are making rude comments about me. Can I sue this "friend" of mine? By the way Ive known her husband for 12 years and not once he's heard me talk sh*t about anyone else

swalsh411

Maybe, depending on what was said (which I noticed you did not specify). But defamation lawsuits are expensive, time-consuming, and this person may not have any money for you to collect. Nobody can give you a more accurate assessment until you provide what was written about you.

Have you thought about just ignoring it? These things tend to blow away.

Banned_Princess

Do you have a million dollars to bring up such a suit?

Yea, I doubt it. Plus you would need more then "its not true" to prove its not true.

Antigone*

California- One of my "friend" heard a rumor from someone else that I supposedly said something about (her which is not true), and went on Facebook and started accusing me. I was so confused and I didn't want to reply back on the Internet for everyone else to see because I thought it was a joke. I called her and asked her what she's talking about and told me I should tell her to her face instead of going around talking sh*t. I denied it cuz it wasn't true and told her to bring that person over so the three of us can talk and so I can confront this person. She doesn't want to tell me the name but still goes on Facebook telling people what I supposedly said and now people are making rude comments about me. Can I sue this "friend" of mine? By the way Ive known her husband for 12 years and not once he's heard me talk sh*t about anyone else
This is so middle-school melodramatic:rolleyes:. You have got to be kidding:rolleyes:

Shocked17

Maybe, depending on what was said (which I noticed you did not specify). But defamation lawsuits are expensive, time-consuming, and this person may not have any money for you to collect. Nobody can give you a more accurate assessment until you provide what was written about you.

Have you thought about just ignoring it? These things tend to blow away.
supposedly I said her reception was wack but I didn't even know what happened or what they did on their Las Vegas wedding. I wasn't even there nor talked to the people that was invited. But I did just ignore it and I just wanted an advise so thank you all. I really appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">