• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cease & Desist from Doctor's Laywer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starkman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI/NE

Doctor's office is in NE, we're in WI. Not sure which would have jurisdiction.

I'm an investigator for an insurance company; we had a file reviewed twice for medical necessity and needless to say, it came back both times by two peer independent reviewers as not medically necessary (per the plan definition). Everything was done by the book on the reviews.

A broker for the group didn't understand any of it, so she asked for a more detailed "laymen" explanation as to why the reviewers stated to deny the charges. Normally in those situations we provide more "behind the scenes" and insider information as to why we're targeting these services for review, which is usually due to abusive and/or fraudulent situations. It's something that would never be sent to a client and certainly not a patient or a physician's office. It's treated essentially like an internal e-mail since brokers are our business partners.

The e-mail spoke of that in general; i.e., not naming any specific physician or entity and a good chunk of it constituted of my own personal views/opinions of trends that I've seen/experienced over the years with this particular form of treatment. Editorializing, I guess one could call it. And then I broke down what this particular reviewer was saying in laymen's terms.

The only specific comment I made about this physician was just a general one that said there was no guarantee that he (call him Dr. Smith) could know ahead of time that the procedure would be successful (as the discussion was about how some of the physicians in this field tend to use the ends to justify the means--but conversely when the procedures don't work, they still want to be paid. It can't go both ways), and that I've had his files reviewed before (true) and that not all of his patients experienced sustained relief 100% of the time (what procedure does?). But there was never any accusation made that he was engaged in any abusive or fraudulent behavior on this or any previous files. If anything, it was an inference that no doctor is correct 100% of the time (that's why the call it 'practicing' medicine, as the saying goes) and beyond that, we had two physicians Board certified in the same specialty backing us up on the denials on the file in question.

Well, needless to say since I'm on here, the idiot broker--instead of treating it like an internal e-mail--just forwarded the whole thing onto the group contact, who in turn forwarded it onto the patient's wife, who in turn sent it to the physician's office.

An overly long and somewhat ridiculous cease and desist letter followed accusing me/us of slander (although written in an e-mail, which is libel) and defamation of character, and also claiming that by merely discussing the file or explaining in laymen's terms the content of the peer independent review, that I was essentially guilty of practicing medicine in the state of Nebraska without a license. I mean, don't get me wrong--I've been doing this for a while so it's not my first time to the rodeo dealing with attorneys and I don't quake in my boots when I get a letter from one (no offense to you all!), I've just never seen anything quite like this. It should be noted that at no point in the letter does he even specifically say which parts of the e-mail were slanderous or defamatory, or alleges aren't true. More of a "how dare you question the expertise of Dr. Smith, you insurance jockey you" type of letter.

My employer took the reins on it and sent a letter of retraction back and even spoke with this physician,, who admitted that he understood where I was coming from but he didn't appreciate being "lumped in" with all of these other dastardly physicians (understandable).

So we thought that was the end of it, until we get another letter from the attorney once again calling it slander and saying that my employer's apology wasn't "worth the paper it was printed on" since it didn't come from me and that it wasn't disseminated to the parties the original e-mail went to...except beyond the aforementioned parties, we have no idea who it all really went to and they don't spell it out.

So now if we don't do that, they're threatening any and all legal recourse (yada yada) in 10 days. Well, actually my employer is late to the party on it and it's past that already (19th would have been their self-imposed deadline). He asked me to write a brief retraction, which I did, but even as of today we have no idea who to send it to.

My questions are:

--Does this seem like a lot of needless posturing given the circumstances;
--Does what I described seem to you to fit any legal definition of "slanderous" or "defamatory" (and it kills me the lawyer doesn't know the difference between slander and libel to begin with)
--And even if it would be, my understanding is that he has to show proof of damages, i.e., damage to his reputation, livelihood, etc. As far as I know, exactly 4 people besides him and his attorney have seen this outside of our company. If anyone else has seen it, it's by their doing. The patient himself hadn't been back to see this physician in over six months by the time this all went down. If no one else has seen the e-mails, it hasn't stopped new or repeat patients from coming back to his practice. What's your opinion that he could reasonably prove damages anywhere near worth the money and time it would even take to bring it to court?

Just curious on your take. Gnawing at me obviously since I'm on here. Or if we should even bother with the additional retraction at this point and let the attorneys we use for certain things take a look at it before we dig ourselves a larger hole. That was my first instinct but needless to say, it wasn't my call.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI/NE

Doctor's office is in NE, we're in WI. Not sure which would have jurisdiction.
The defamation suit could be filed in either state. If you are the target of the suit, however, it could be more likely for the doctor to sue you in your home state, to avoid a potential jurisdictional challenge (which can increase the costs of a suit).

I'm an investigator for an insurance company; we had a file reviewed twice for medical necessity and needless to say, it came back both times by two peer independent reviewers as not medically necessary (per the plan definition). Everything was done by the book on the reviews.

A broker for the group didn't understand any of it, so she asked for a more detailed "laymen" explanation as to why the reviewers stated to deny the charges. Normally in those situations we provide more "behind the scenes" and insider information as to why we're targeting these services for review, which is usually due to abusive and/or fraudulent situations. It's something that would never be sent to a client and certainly not a patient or a physician's office. It's treated essentially like an internal e-mail since brokers are our business partners.
It is possible that an intracorporate privilege could apply to your internal communications. This privilege is recognized in several states and can provide a qualified immunity from suit (if the privilege is not abused). I would have to check to see if Wisconsin and/or Nebraska are two of the states that offer protection from suit for these types of communications.

The e-mail spoke of that in general; i.e., not naming any specific physician or entity and a good chunk of it constituted of my own personal views/opinions of trends that I've seen/experienced over the years with this particular form of treatment. Editorializing, I guess one could call it. And then I broke down what this particular reviewer was saying in laymen's terms.

The only specific comment I made about this physician was just a general one that said there was no guarantee that he (call him Dr. Smith) could know ahead of time that the procedure would be successful (as the discussion was about how some of the physicians in this field tend to use the ends to justify the means--but conversely when the procedures don't work, they still want to be paid. It can't go both ways), and that I've had his files reviewed before (true) and that not all of his patients experienced sustained relief 100% of the time (what procedure does?). But there was never any accusation made that he was engaged in any abusive or fraudulent behavior on this or any previous files. If anything, it was an inference that no doctor is correct 100% of the time (that's why the call it 'practicing' medicine, as the saying goes) and beyond that, we had two physicians Board certified in the same specialty backing us up on the denials on the file in question.
This can get into legally dangerous territory when, after having a general discussion about "ends justifying means" (and the dastardly actions of other physicians), you discuss the particular named the doctor and say he has had his procedures reviewed in the past. There is an implication there even if not an accusation.

But if you did not state or imply he was engaged in abusive or fraudulent behavior, that at least is good. :)

Well, needless to say since I'm on here, the idiot broker--instead of treating it like an internal e-mail--just forwarded the whole thing onto the group contact, who in turn forwarded it onto the patient's wife, who in turn sent it to the physician's office.
Here is where any intracorporate privilege that may exist could (probably would) be lost.

An overly long and somewhat ridiculous cease and desist letter followed accusing me/us of slander (although written in an e-mail, which is libel) and defamation of character, and also claiming that by merely discussing the file or explaining in laymen's terms the content of the peer independent review, that I was essentially guilty of practicing medicine in the state of Nebraska without a license.
This may not be so ridiculous. You provided your interpretation of a medical review when you decided to provide an analysis - and you are, apparently, not a medical professional. You will need to consult with an attorney in your area to see how your analyses of the reviews can be viewed.

The attorney who sent the letter is probably not an attorney whose practice involves defamation law, if he claimed your email "slandered" the doctor (unless there was oral communication, as well).

I mean, don't get me wrong--I've been doing this for a while so it's not my first time to the rodeo dealing with attorneys and I don't quake in my boots when I get a letter from one (no offense to you all!), I've just never seen anything quite like this. It should be noted that at no point in the letter does he even specifically say which parts of the e-mail were slanderous or defamatory, or alleges aren't true. More of a "how dare you question the expertise of Dr. Smith, you insurance jockey you" type of letter.
It would not be unusual for letters sent by attorneys about defamatory publications to be general in nature, as an attorney will not want to get too specific until the potentially defamatory publication can be analyzed more carefully and research is done.

I tend to think that any time a person is in receipt of a letter of the sort you received, there should be at least some cause for concern. This type of letter indicates that someone is at least considering legal action if an attorney has been contacted.

My employer took the reins on it and sent a letter of retraction back and even spoke with this physician,, who admitted that he understood where I was coming from but he didn't appreciate being "lumped in" with all of these other dastardly physicians (understandable).

So we thought that was the end of it, until we get another letter from the attorney once again calling it slander and saying that my employer's apology wasn't "worth the paper it was printed on" since it didn't come from me and that it wasn't disseminated to the parties the original e-mail went to...except beyond the aforementioned parties, we have no idea who it all really went to and they don't spell it out.
It can sometimes be a mistake to send a retraction because you are, with a retraction, essentially admitting fault. If it was decided that a retraction was the best course of action (and this should have only been decided AFTER a consultation with an attorney who could have personally reviewed all of the facts and detail the pros and cons), the retraction needed to be complete and thorough and without qualifiers, and it needed to be published as widely as the original defamatory communication and to the same "audience."

I recommend you do not send another retraction until you have discussed this with an attorney in your area.

So now if we don't do that, they're threatening any and all legal recourse (yada yada) in 10 days. Well, actually my employer is late to the party on it and it's past that already (19th would have been their self-imposed deadline). He asked me to write a brief retraction, which I did, but even as of today we have no idea who to send it to.

My questions are:

--Does this seem like a lot of needless posturing given the circumstances;
--Does what I described seem to you to fit any legal definition of "slanderous" or "defamatory" (and it kills me the lawyer doesn't know the difference between slander and libel to begin with)
--And even if it would be, my understanding is that he has to show proof of damages, i.e., damage to his reputation, livelihood, etc. As far as I know, exactly 4 people besides him and his attorney have seen this outside of our company. If anyone else has seen it, it's by their doing. The patient himself hadn't been back to see this physician in over six months by the time this all went down. If no one else has seen the e-mails, it hasn't stopped new or repeat patients from coming back to his practice.
It only needs to be ONE person outside the company who has seen the communication to potentially cause the doctor reputational injury enough to support a lawsuit. The patient's wife was probably not the best person to be sent the emailed analyses.

What's your opinion that he could reasonably prove damages anywhere near worth the money and time it would even take to bring it to court?
I could only guess on whether the doctor could prove damages enough to make a lawsuit financially worthwhile, and I could only guess on the time it would take the doctor to file suit. The statute of limitations for filing a suit in Wisconsin is 2 years from the date of first publication of the defamatory statements.

Just curious on your take. Gnawing at me obviously since I'm on here. Or if we should even bother with the additional retraction at this point and let the attorneys we use for certain things take a look at it before we dig ourselves a larger hole. That was my first instinct but needless to say, it wasn't my call.
Quite frankly, my "take" on this doesn't matter all that much. You will need the personal take of an attorney in your area who is well-versed in defamation law and who can review exactly what was written and subsequently sent or communicated to others. This personal review will be necessary to determine where you stand legally and what you should do now.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">