• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

church member accused me of stealing church money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idowoomi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have worked as church treasurer for 3 years.

About a month ago there was an audit, and auditors found $340 shortage during my 3 year period and $7450 shortage under former church treasurer.

None of these auditors are CPA or professional auditors.

I told them that it is possible that there were miscommunication between me and bookkeeper and that promised to pay back if congregation agree to the report.

The priest asked auditors not to publish final audit report until congregation approves it, but they ignored his advice and published the report to all church members.

Even though my portion was only $340, they scold me, publicly, for stealing God's money.

Congregation plan to hire independent auditor to resolve the difference, but they keep accusing me of stealing church money.

I know that former treasure has more trouble than me.

Can i ask small court for help?

Need your advice.

idowoomi

So, did you steal the money? Or are you just bad at your job?
NO, I did not steal money. I made deposits 150 times for 3 year period. There were $20-30 difference 4 times and $100 difference one time. To be honest with you, I do not know why there were differences between amount in church record and amount on bank statement. I believe it is due to the miscommunication between me and bookkeeper. I think it is unfair these auditors accusing me of a thief. And, in retrospect, I did bad job.

Proserpina

NO, I did not steal money. I made deposits 150 times for 3 year period. There were $20-30 difference 4 times and $100 difference one time. To be honest with you, I do not know why there were differences between amount in church record and amount on bank statement. I believe it is due to the miscommunication between me and bookkeeper. I think it is unfair these auditors accusing me of a thief. And, in retrospect, I did bad job.

The problem with defamation suits - even when they're obvious - is that they're incredibly expensive to pursue in terms of time and money. You're talking tens of thousands of dollars and several years. If you file, every aspect of your personal life becomes public fodder. Perhaps worse though, if you win nothing much will change. If you lose, nothing much will change either.

LdiJ

4 small discrepancies and 1 semi-small discrepancy over the course of 150 deposits is a pretty small margin of error. It also clearly shows mistakes rather than a pattern of stealing. If those who published the audit did not make it clear that the vast majority of the missing money was under the former treasurer, you would have every right to make that known yourself.

Did the money ever leave your hands between when it was counted and when it was deposited?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have worked as church treasurer for 3 years.

About a month ago there was an audit, and auditors found $340 shortage during my 3 year period and $7450 shortage under former church treasurer.

None of these auditors are CPA or professional auditors.

I told them that it is possible that there were miscommunication between me and bookkeeper and that promised to pay back if congregation agree to the report.

The priest asked auditors not to publish final audit report until congregation approves it, but they ignored his advice and published the report to all church members.

Even though my portion was only $340, they scold me, publicly, for stealing God's money.

Congregation plan to hire independent auditor to resolve the difference, but they keep accusing me of stealing church money.

I know that former treasure has more trouble than me.

Can i ask small court for help?

Need your advice.
Did the published report actually "scold" you for stealing money or did the report only state that an audit of the church funds showed shortages?

Have some of those in the congregation actually accused you of theft or are they merely questioning the source of the shortage as reported by the audit?

A public accusation of theft/embezzlement would be defamatory IF FALSE, but a truthful report - a published report stating only the audit's findings but with no assignment of fault - would not be defamation.

I personally think it was a mistake to publish the audit as it seems to have been published prematurely. There apparently has been no investigation into the CAUSE of the shortage so the report could work to wrongfully harm your reputation and the reputation of the other church treasurer through implication.

If you and/or the other church treasurer did steal church funds, of course, you could not support any claim of defamation and there is little you can do but pay the church back and hope they don't pursue any legal action against you. If you didn't steal funds, or handle church funds carelessly, you might have a legal action to consider.

justalayman

These deposit discrepancies would have been known at the time. Banks require discrepancies between deposit statements and actual accounting must be reconciled immediately.

So, how were the discrepancies reconciled?

idowoomi

Did the published report actually "scold" you for stealing money or did the report only state that an audit of the church funds showed shortages?

Have some of those in the congregation actually accused you of theft or are they merely questioning the source of the shortage as reported by the audit?

A public accusation of theft/embezzlement would be defamatory IF FALSE, but a truthful report - a published report stating only the audit's findings but with no assignment of fault - would not be defamation.

I personally think it was a mistake to publish the audit as it seems to have been published prematurely. There apparently has been no investigation into the CAUSE of the shortage so the report could work to wrongfully harm your reputation and the reputation of the other church treasurer through implication.

If you and/or the other church treasurer did steal church funds, of course, you could not support any claim of defamation and there is little you can do but pay the church back and hope they don't pursue any legal action against you. If you didn't steal funds, or handle church funds carelessly, you might have a legal action to consider.
Thanks for prompt responses.
It is just so stressful for being treated as a thief. Church priest and head of congregation asked me to keep doing my job(it is volunteer, not paid job). Last week I was trying to count Sunday offerings, then they came over to me and shout at me that I shouldn't touch money.

LdiJ

These deposit discrepancies would have been known at the time. Banks require discrepancies between deposit statements and actual accounting must be reconciled immediately.

So, how were the discrepancies reconciled?
Only if the bookkeeper properly reconciled the bank statements to the accounting records on a monthly basis. If the bookkeeper is also a volunteer, then that may not have been done properly.

LdiJ

Thanks for prompt responses.
It is just so stressful for being treated as a thief. Church priest and head of congregation asked me to keep doing my job(it is volunteer, not paid job). Last week I was trying to count Sunday offerings, then they came over to me and shout at me that I shouldn't touch money.
You should have insisted that someone else count the money with you. If you continue, please insist upon that.

latigo

Help?

Just what sort of relief would you be asking of a court of law? Because to my knowledge - short of filing an action for defamation against your accusers - there is no legal process that you could initiate to establish your innocence.

Even if it were so, the only exculpating factors you have thus mentioned is that your "troubles" are less than that of your predecessor. The evidence of which would be irrelevant and thus inadmissible. And even so, such a theory would amount to an admission.

Also, missing here is any inference that the accusations of theft are unfounded?

I suggest that you await the completion of the audit and then deal with the results.

justalayman

Only if the bookkeeper properly reconciled the bank statements to the accounting records on a monthly basis. If the bookkeeper is also a volunteer, then that may not have been done properly.
You know better than that. A bank will not allow a mismatched deposit to flounder. I've dealt with it enough to know that and you most assuredly would know that.

Dang, I got phone calls well before 10 am if there was any discrepancy in a deposit.

What the church group did was within themselves but the bank did provide notice as soon as a discrepancy is realized. Their teller (or whomever is counting bag deposits) is under scrutiny as much as the deposit is. Many are video recorded specifically to help prevent theft by a teller.

quincy

Help?

Just what sort of relief would you be asking of a court of law? Because to my knowledge - short of filing an action for defamation against your accusers - there is no legal process that you could initiate to establish your innocence. ...
Just a guess here, latigo, but - because idowoomi started his/her thread in the defamation section of the forum - I am thinking idowoomi IS asking about whether there is a supportable defamation action to pursue against his accusers.

That said, a public retraction could also be requested - if, of course, a subsequent audit shows there has either been no theft of church funds or that idowoomi had no involvement in theft of church funds.

I agree with Tiger D that a professional audit should be done - and one actually should have been done after the preliminary audit showed discrepancies and before publication of the audit. The publication has allowed for accusations of wrongdoing to circulate among members of the church, without proof of any wrongdoing.

commentator

I really think this person should just find another church. Still counting the money? Are you kidding? "They came over and shout at me" and you hung around? What kind of weird cult are you in that you just don't go worship elsewhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">