• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

could i be sued for libel or slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monkeyjlee

From oklahoma

Can i be sued for writing a blog about a former employee i did not use his name or position with the company or the company itself. I did make remarks about his physical condition and things he is doing or is not doing. But remember i did not mention his name or postion. He did print out the document and belives its about him. He was my superior at the company and still works there i was the one who was fired. In my blog i did make many suggestions as to what he was doing for example cheating on his wife and his work habbit i did include some verbal assults to his character. I only refured to him as employee or x employee. I put alot of things that could be linked to him some true and some in question that i could not prove to be true. Things about leaving a elderly employee out in the parking lot all day in 100+ weather about to die of a heat stroke. Things about maybe he should get up out of his chair so he wouldnt have bed sores. Just comments of the sort one was said like this..Next time you have a little old woman go get you a cheese burger i hope you ****ing choke you fat ****..Just things of that nature.. I also included about his appartment being dirty and his land lord was going to call dhs on for his daughter.

So how could the poster be sued if that person did not mention name rank or company he or she worked for. It could be a number of people he or she was talking about maybe a different company they worked for.

Last edited:

buckbill

It would depend on if the information you revealed would or could be directly tied to this person. If the information was true? Even if a defamatory comment is made on an open forum, if it is TRUE, you can not be sued. The Truth is the best defense. What was your reason for writing the comments? If it was a way to vent anger toward this individual? Well that is no EXCUSE, and totally childish. If a real name or part of a name is used, it makes the situation much more serious. I would suggest, find another pass time other than the Internet. The Internet is a useful tool when used properly. When not used properly it can lead to trouble. If the messages were written from a place of business, well it could hold an employer liable for the actions. Good Luck.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am in awe at the maturity your comments show - NOT.

I'm not even remotely surprised you were fired.

BelizeBreeze

It would depend on if the information you revealed would or could be directly tied to this person. If the information was true? Even if a defamatory comment is made on an open forum, if it is TRUE, you can not be sued.
WRONG!
The Truth is the best defense.
Try to follow along: Libel per se
What was your reason for writing the comments?
irrelevant.
If it was a way to vent anger toward this individual?
Irrelevant
Well that is no EXCUSE, and totally childish. If a real name or part of a name is used, it makes the situation much more serious.
not necessarily.

The plain fact is, yes, this poster can be sued. Regardless of whether or not the information is true or is the person can or cannot be identified by name.

Monkeyjlee

How just curious

Now how could the poster be sued if the poster did not use name rank or any company that he or she worked for. There is no proof that the poster was talking about or commiting libel against that one person it could have been any number of people from other companies he had worked for.

BelizeBreeze

Now how could the poster be sued if the poster did not use name rank or any company that he or she worked for. There is no proof that the poster was talking about or commiting libel against that one person it could have been any number of people from other companies he had worked for.
You're kidding right? I could sue the poster if I felt like it. I could sue you if I felt like it.

No one said the offended party would win. Only that there is nothing stopping them from suing.:rolleyes:

TroubleFromEbay

WRONG!

Try to follow along: Libel per se
Hello, Can you explain how that is libel per se.. i don't understand.

I dont' know if I am allowed to do this or not but would you mind looking at my post?
Also would you mind looking at my post. It is also about libel and I noticed I kind of posted it under the wrong forum. Under Online purchases and sales: Is an ebay purchase a real legal contract?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello, Can you explain how that is libel per se.. i don't understand.
Buckbill made a broad statement that, if you are telling the truth, it can't be considered libel. There are exceptions to that - Google libel per se for more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">