• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Order to prevent my name from showing up in search engines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

THIS THREAD WAS CREATED BY dvdguy11 - His first post is quoted below

Hello, I am located in Los Angeles, California. www.XXXXXX.kr has put some libel about me on their website. How do I go about getting a court order that prevents Google and Bing from showing this defamatory page when my name is searched for? Is there a specific court form or process that I need to fill out? Thanks a lot!

Do you know who wrote the defamatory material about you?

(edit to remove link - thanks TheGeekess :))

Last edited:

quincy

I was sort of preparing for the next post by dvdguy11 to be a spam link (to a site that will take your money in exchange for promises to remove defamatory material from its place online). I guess I wasn't thinking the link that was mentioned could be spam, too.

If dvdguy11 comes back, he should know that it will not be easy to have material removed from a Korean-based website. Requests to the site can be safely ignored and a U.S. court order is not going to be real effective.

But, it is possible that the creator of the defamatory material posted originally to a U.S. based site (and the content was pilfered by the Korean site - which is something that site is known to do). So dvdguy11 could potentially have the material removed from its place on any U.S. website where it appears, and he could also potentially have a legal action to pursue against the person who created the material.

Often it is cheaper and easier, though, to simply try to bury to page two or three on a name search all of the negative content by replacing it with positive content.

dvdguy11

Well I know who originally wrote it. It was my ex-girlfriend, and she wrote it on XXXXXXXXX. She is now supportive of me and has removed it from XXXX. She has never written anything on XXXXX .

I think the problem is XXXX is an extortion website. They have been known to copy and paste content from XXXX onto their own website. They were sued by XXXXX for this once. Therefore I think that XXXXX themselves put my information on their website. And they put the poster as anonymous.

I can prove that the original poster was my ex-girlfriend and that she posted it on XXXX. She is on my side now, so if it's as simple as proving that she originally wrote it on XXXX and wants to retract it, then there's no problem. But how can I prove definitively that XXXX cut and pasted her post from XXXX onto their own website?

Last edited by a moderator:

Just Blue

Well I know who originally wrote it. It was my ex-girlfriend, and she wrote it on *XYZ*, not *******kr , She is now supportive of me and has removed it from *XYZ*. She has never written anything on **************Kr .

I think the problem is ********.KR is an extortion website. They have been known to copy and paste content from *XYZ* onto their own website. They were sued by (you gotta be kidding!) for this once. Therefore I think that *****KR themselves put my information on their website. And they put the poster as anonymous.

I can prove that the original poster was my ex-girlfriend and that she posted it on xyz. She is on my side now, so if it's as simple as proving that she originally wrote it on xyz and wants to retract it, then there's no problem. But how can I prove definitively that :rolleyes:.KR cut and pasted her post from :rolleyes: onto their own website?
Just stop spamming:rolleyes:

quincy

If your ex-girlfriend removed what she wrote from XXX then that might be the best you can hope for in the way of reputation-control. You are probably going to have to resign yourself to flooding the internet with positive content about yourself to get the negatives hidden, and you are probably going to have to forget about taking any legal action against the Korean-based XXX

The XXX website has been sued in the past by other websites for stealing their content. XXXX has been accused of scraping copyrighted photos and data from various online locations and then posting this content to its own site. Although this is copyright infringement, for which some legal recourse exists, it is hard (and prohibitively expensive) for most individuals whose content has been infringed to sue an overseas infringer, and the websites whose material has been pilfered are often not interested in spending funds to pursue another site in an overseas court (especially when their own site is drawing legal actions over the content).

The only apparent way to have the harmful material removed from many of these sites is to pay a "reputation repair" service several hundred dollars. There is a reputation repair service that is owned and operated by XXX, for example, and there are generally reputation repair services connected to the other, similar sites that post harmful content (nude photos, defamatory content, mug shots, confidential information).

It is this type of "scamming" for money that U.S. courts are being asked to address in court actions over mug shot sites and arrest sites and gripe sites that also own and operate their own reputation repair and content removal services. It is being viewed by many as blackmail (create harmful material, post it online, demand payment for its removal).

If you want to sue your defamer (your ex-girlfriend) for the harm caused to your reputation, she is the logical target. She is the one who created the mess you now find yourself in. But all you are potentially able to gain from a defamation lawsuit, now that she has removed what she has been able to remove, is a monetary award. Your reputation will not be repaired.

(dvdguy11, please do not post links to the sites you are having difficulty with, as that can be seen as advertising or spam, which is not allowed on this site)

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">