• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

coworker slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jonathan2

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I recently was told by a fellow coworker that another one said the following: "Sean told me that Jon beats his wife." The remark is totally false, I could have dozens of people testify to that. I confronted Sean and he knows this coworker "pretty well" and that "he never said anything like that." From his reaction I do believe him. He is a teenager, and I don't know how he knows the other woman, perhaps from her daughter, but he even went on to say that she "fibs a lot." She has also told other coworkers that our direct supervisor is cheating on his girlfriend. Is this just goofy office stuff? We work third shift, and things are pretty relaxed, but this is just a bizarre statement to make, and goes beyond the usual joking around, especially if said behind your back. Is there a case here? I plan to confront her with our head manager to witness, so what should I expect from them also?

Last edited:

Jonathan2

What about defamatory remarks about someone that are totally untrue? It said on the site "...defamatory action if the comments are so reprehensible and false that they effect your reputation in the community or cast aspersions on you." I shop at this store as well as work there, is there only a case if someone else who hears about this and believes it to be true says something against me? Also, what should I expect my management to do when confronted by this? What is to stop her from continuing, as she has also slandered someone else (our supervisor who she said is cheating on his girlfriend) and used someone else's name saying he was the one to say this initially.

The Occultist

Alright, then take them to court, prove to the court that the defamation occurred, that you incurred damages in the process, and, if you win, see how much you are awarded. I bet it won't even cover the court costs. Your call, buddy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">