• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lovangel831

Maryland
I have this neighbor who is absolutely nutty! They are obviously doing drugs and have many issues with pretty much the entire neighborhood. I found out they were going to move in to the house next door to me which is approx. 6 houses down from where they are now. So I mentioned to the landlord of the house those people are druggies and that I had seen her running around with white stuff on her nose. Apparently the landlord told them that I said she was a crackhead and that she cannot move into the house now. So she came to my door and told me that she was going to have me subpeonaed for the slander case that is on-going, along with the rest of the neighborhood.

Is what I said slander or is this merely an opinion? If this is a case of Slander what are the repercussions in Maryland?

Baltimore, MD

Antigone*

Maryland
I have this neighbor who is absolutely nutty! They are obviously doing drugs and have many issues with pretty much the entire neighborhood. I found out they were going to move in to the house next door to me which is approx. 6 houses down from where they are now. So I mentioned to the landlord of the house those people are druggies and that I had seen her running around with white stuff on her nose. Apparently the landlord told them that I said she was a crackhead and that she cannot move into the house now. So she came to my door and told me that she was going to have me subpeonaed for the slander case that is on-going, along with the rest of the neighborhood.

Is what I said slander or is this merely an opinion? If this is a case of Slander what are the repercussions in Maryland?

Baltimore, MD
You did call her a crackhead. Unless you have solid proof that they are druggies she can certainly accuse you of slander.

Hot Topic

You say you have a neighbor who is "nutty" and "obviously" doing drugs. Can you prove that she doesn't have emotional/mental issues that have nothing to do with drugs?

Can you prove that you saw her "running around" with white powder on her nose? Can you prove that powder was crack?

It takes a foolish person to make accusations without proof. And someone who's a bit of a dim bulb to think this kind of accusation is just an opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">