• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal accusation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RonNYC

Thanks. Yes, of course for this guy innocence is important but the book is more about what prison did to him and how he overcame it. Obviously why he's there is important. It's also about juvenile interrogations, crappy defense, etc. But 80% is about his life in prison, 18% before he went in and 2% about the crime. I'll change the name.

quincy

Thanks. Yes, of course for this guy innocence is important but the book is more about what prison did to him and how he overcame it. Obviously why he's there is important. It's also about juvenile interrogations, crappy defense, etc. But 80% is about his life in prison, 18% before he went in and 2% about the crime. I'll change the name.
You mentioned in your first post that this prisoner is maintaining his innocence and is currently "trying to free himself." A book about his prison experiences - which no doubt could make for an interesting book - will not work toward this goal. The book can, however, show why he is who he is, and why he is where he is.

You said you would "change the name," and I am not clear what you mean. The changing of names of individuals in a true story will do little to disguise these individuals. There are only a few people who exist in a person's real life who will interact with that person. Real names can be used if they are used carefully. All that is said about these identifiable individuals (even when they are not identified by name) should be true or pure opinion, to better avoid the risk of a lawsuit.

I think the story the prisoner has to tell could be a good one. I think many people may have a bit of a glorified picture of the life a prisoner leads (or an unrealistic picture in their heads of constant prison riots and rapes, or prisoners making friends with mice or birds ;)).

RonNYC

You mentioned in your first post that this prisoner is maintaining his innocence and is currently "trying to free himself." A book about his prison experiences - which no doubt could make for an interesting book - will not work toward this goal. The book can, however, show why he is who he is, and why he is where he is.

You said you would "change the name," and I am not clear what you mean. The changing of names of individuals in a true story will do little to disguise these individuals. There are only a few people who exist in a person's real life who will interact with that person. Real names can be used if they are used carefully. All that is said about these identifiable individuals (even when they are not identified by name) should be true or pure opinion, to better avoid the risk of a lawsuit.

I think the story the prisoner has to tell could be a good one. I think many people may have a bit of a glorified picture of the life a prisoner leads (or an unrealistic picture in their heads of constant prison riots and rapes, or prisoners making friends with mice or birds ;)).
The book is not designed to directly work towards his freedom but to bring him to the attention of groups or people who could help him. Appellate work is very expensive. I've researched his case, I have the trial transcript and a lot of other data. But while getting him some attention is the goal, the book is about him, and prison, which was (is) so much worse than most people think possible.

quincy

The book is not designed to directly work towards his freedom but to bring him to the attention of groups or people who could help him. Appellate work is very expensive. I've researched his case, I have the trial transcript and a lot of other data. But while getting him some attention is the goal, the book is about him, and prison, which was (is) so much worse than most people think possible.
If the goal is to attract the attention of those who may be willing to help him, a book about his life (both in and out of prison) could be a very good way to do that. And, if the prisoner is really innocent of the crime for which he was convicted, I hope the truth will eventually come out.

Good luck with the book, RonNYC.

RonNYC

If the goal is to attract the attention of those who may be willing to help him, a book about his life (both in and out of prison) could be a very good way to do that. And, if the prisoner is really innocent of the crime for which he was convicted, I hope the truth will eventually come out.

Good luck with the book, RonNYC.

Thanks! It should be on Amazon soon. And yes, that is the goal, to draw attention. As is more and more clear, juvenile confessions are relatively unreliable as was the case here.

quincy

Thanks! It should be on Amazon soon. And yes, that is the goal, to draw attention. As is more and more clear, juvenile confessions are relatively unreliable as was the case here.
Confessions are sometimes not as reliable as some might believe. You are right.

Again, good luck with the book. I hope it attracts the type of attention, and help, that the prisoner hopes it will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">