• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cyber Bullying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meerkatslvr

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I belong to several entertainment forums where we discuss various artists. I have engaged on heated discussions concerning a certain artist whose fan base is irrationally protective about him. I have made the mistake of being vocal as to how I feel about this artist. The artist's fans are more like a cult following and those who dare speak negatively about their favorite are subjected to harrassment and bullying from these individuals. Their M.O. is posting full names and credit reports of the people they feel are "haters" because they don't like their "sweet" singer. They are computer savvy and many use their jobs (one of them we know is a legal secretary) or contacts to get people's info. They contact employers, family, friends, etc and harrass them. They bad mouth the posters and I know of some who lost their jobs over it. They post lies and accuse us of saying things we never said. They insult people, defame them and do anything to avenge their "favorite". Are these people liable? I'm tired of having my name or my friends dragged and accused of things we never said or did. They never use their names, just their handles and probably why they feel they're untouchable. What can I do? I want them to be held liable, but how? What it's mind boggling is that all this is over a singer??? OMG, this cult is starting to scare a lot of people in the entertainment world. Any suggestions?What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I belong to several entertainment forums where we discuss various artists. I have engaged on heated discussions concerning a certain artist whose fan base is irrationally protective about him. I have made the mistake of being vocal as to how I feel about this artist. The artist's fans are more like a cult following and those who dare speak negatively about their favorite are subjected to harrassment and bullying from these individuals. Their M.O. is posting full names and credit reports of the people they feel are "haters" because they don't like their "sweet" singer. They are computer savvy and many use their jobs (one of them we know is a legal secretary) or contacts to get people's info. They contact employers, family, friends, etc and harrass them. They bad mouth the posters and I know of some who lost their jobs over it. They post lies and accuse us of saying things we never said. They insult people, defame them and do anything to avenge their "favorite". Are these people liable? I'm tired of having my name or my friends dragged and accused of things we never said or did. They never use their names, just their handles and probably why they feel they're untouchable. What can I do? I want them to be held liable, but how? What it's mind boggling is that all this is over a singer??? OMG, this cult is starting to scare a lot of people in the entertainment world. Any suggestions?What is the name of your state?
stop posting to the forum.

meerkatslvr

Then stop visiting the forum.
Well, all I wanted to know was if I had any legal recourse. I'm sorry. I thought this was a legal forum moderated by attorneys, that's why I asked. I know the situation may sound petty to you, but it's not to me. I was under the impression I was going to get adult responses or at least be treated like one. My bad.

BelizeBreeze

Well, all I wanted to know was if I had any legal recourse. I'm sorry. I thought this was a legal forum moderated by attorneys, that's why I asked. I know the situation may sound petty to you, but it's not to me. I was under the impression I was going to get adult responses or at least be treated like one. My bad.
you did get a legal response. If you don't like it, then take about $5,000 out of your pocket, go see a local attorney and in about six month you MAY get a court to hear your nothing case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Meer -

Did you happen to see the notice at the bottom of the page?

IMPORTANT NOTICE
THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS PAGE WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM.
yadayadayada

meerkatslvr

you did get a legal response. If you don't like it, then take about $5,000 out of your pocket, go see a local attorney and in about six month you MAY get a court to hear your nothing case.
Well Belize, I don't know if you are an attorney or not (God, I hope you aren't) but would it have hurt you that much to be civil and just give a straight up yes or no answer and a brief explanation why and not one so rude? I only have been to this forum today looking for an adult response and I should have known better because the responses I read at other threads that came from you were equally rude. What's your problem? You have issues...

I wouldn't dare ask any more questions here. Have a blessed day, looks like you need one.

meerkatslvr

No, you came here for answers you wanted to hear. This is the wrong forum for that.
Zigner, sorry you feel that way, but No, I didn't come here for answers I wanted to hear. If I didn't have a recourse, the mature, civil response would have been "No meerkatslvr, you wouldn't have a case BECAUSE_____________. I was looking for info on cyber bullying and about any laws concerning it. THAT's what I was expecting. Instead I received a parent/child response "Stop doing this or Stop doing that because I say so" type. That's hardly a mature response. Again, it was my mistake. I failed to read the disclaimer at the bottom. I thought I was getting advice from legal professionals, not from people who think they are. Thanks for responding so nicely anyway :rolleyes:

stephenk

First, I can't believe Barry Manilow has such a rabid following.

Second, there is no cyber bullying because no one is contacting you. You are going to the site and posting. If you have stopped posting continue with the thought and stop visiting the site. Like most sites, after about a week you will be forgotten and Barry's fans will be posting about someone else.

Third, if you insist on going to the site, you can always complain to the site moderator if they have one.

Fourth, how do the posters know your real name?

BelizeBreeze

Second, there is no cyber bullying because no one is contacting you. You are going to the site and posting. If you have stopped posting continue with the thought and stop visiting the site. Like most sites, after about a week you will be forgotten and Barry's fans will be posting about someone else.

Third, if you insist on going to the site, you can always complain to the site moderator if they have one.

I thought it was Clay Aiken :mad:

meerkatslvr

Thank You Stephenk

I'm glad to see there's at least one mature responder here. Actually is not a Barry Manilow site or his fans I refered about; it's a blog where different artists are discussed. In this case it's Clay Aiken fans indeed who are the bullies.

They have my name and other of my friends' names because we used to be fans, but not any longer and made the mistake of being honest about how we felt about him as an artist and as a person. Long story short, the emails and phone calls have never stopped and neither the harrassment on public boards. That's the only reason I asked if I had any recourse.

Thanks again Stephenk. I have since contacted an attorney who specializes in cyberstalking and will soon meet with him. There have been written threats of physical harm and the reason why the attorney is willing to review the case.

To those who used put downs and sarcastic responses to my inquiry, thank you and God Bless You. :)
Meerkatslvr

You Are Guilty

Do my eyes deceive me or did someone actually mock Mr. Manilow and his loyal fanbase?? You should be ashamed of yourself, sir, ashamed. Not only do Mr. Manilow's vocal stylings continue to provide great pleasure to deaf-mutes across the globe, but I will have you know sir, that his voice has also been known to cure insomnia (albeit while causing erectile dysfunction). I'd like to know just how many people you have cured... thought so!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">