• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deciet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fitzdoctor

Massachusetts. Was I deceived? I am wondering what I can do. I was going to become a minority owner in a two family home. I loaned the owner of the home $10,000. I started living in the home. The owner of the home told me I could live there and pay what I could. I spent my own money redoing the inside of the home; rugs, carpet, new tile floors with the understanding I would soon be part owner. The home owner the decided he did not want me to become part owner. What can I do. I am now out $10,000.

Last edited:

antrc170

How exactly is the agreement set up?

In general, if the owner decided that he/she no longer wanted the partnership to move forward then you would recieve your investment, plus costs for the upgrades. If you recieved only your investment, then you could file suit for the upgrade costs. This is all very speculative though. The details of the agreement would better assist the board in answering on the specific points of law.

FlyingRon

Real estate contracts must be in writing. Any statement that you are or might become an owner that isn't in writing is not valid. Improvements made to the property are part of the property. I doubt you have any claim, even if you made it in the proper forum :)

Hot Topic

Massachusetts. Was I deceived? I am wondering what I can do. I was going to become a minority owner in a two family home. I loaned the owner of the home $10,000. I started living in the home. The owner of the home told me I could live there and pay what I could. I spent my own money redoing the inside of the home; rugs, carpet, new tile floors with the understanding I would soon be part owner. The home owner the decided he did not want me to become part owner. What can I do. I am now out $10,000.
No intelligent person enters into a "deal" whose details aren't in writing.

It makes no sense that the owner would tell you that you could live there and pay what you "could."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">