• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a defamation case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kenwind

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Illinois
I was dropping my 3 year old son off at school last week and when I went to take him out of the car he took off his boots and socks and told me "you suck". I yelled at him a little bit before taking him out of the car and bringing him into the school. Someone on the street observed me and went into the school and spoke to the principal and also called the police and made a formal report. Both the principal and the officers I met with told me the witness claimed I "yanked him by the shoulder" and "shook him". None of this happened. I had to take time from work to meet with the principal and the police, who examined my son for bruises. They found no basis for the claims and it is officially over as far as they are concerned. Do I have any recourse if a person makes false police statements? Can I sue for defamation of character and loss of wages for time spent dealing with this? Thank you for any advice. I am not in the legal profession and don't know anything about this. Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

kenwind said:
I was dropping my 3 year old son off at school last week and when I went to take him out of the car he took off his boots and socks and told me "you suck". I yelled at him a little bit before taking him out of the car and bringing him into the school. Someone on the street observed me and went into the school and spoke to the principal and also called the police and made a formal report. Both the principal and the officers I met with told me the witness claimed I "yanked him by the shoulder" and "shook him". None of this happened. I had to take time from work to meet with the principal and the police, who examined my son for bruises. They found no basis for the claims and it is officially over as far as they are concerned. Do I have any recourse if a person makes false police statements? Can I sue for defamation of character and loss of wages for time spent dealing with this? Thank you for any advice. I am not in the legal profession and don't know anything about this. Thanks.
This is not even close to a defamation case. A citizen watched you argue and physically manhandle a three year old and was concerned enough to bring it to the attention of the authorities. Unless it was done with malice you have not claim for anything except parenting classes.

S

seniorjudge

kenwind said:

Ken, in a free society, we have to put up with busybodies.

S

seniorjudge

stephenk said:
i would be more concerned that your 3 year old said "you suck".
Time to dump the games, computer, and television.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">