• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nbvollmers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

My boyfriends cousin is constantly talking about me behind my back and spreading rumors, telling my boyfriend I am doing things and saying things I am not doing, and also posting things about me that are not true about my parenting skills on facebook.com. Can I sue for defamation of character? I am tired of constantly having to defend myself to my boyfriend and others due to the rumors this guy is spreading.

quincy

There does not seem to be, from what you have posted here, enough to support, or warrant the high cost of, a defamation action.

You and your boyfriend should probably just ignore the cousin's Facebook comments and ignore the cousin. I imagine your boyfriend knows you much better than your cousin does and can, therefore, easily discern the truth about you and your parenting skills. If false comments are not believed by anyone, they cannot cause reputational injury (except, perhaps, to the liar who is spouting the nonsense ;)).

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">