• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of character at former job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddp10

Denver

Hello All~ I have a couple questions about what exactly my options might be to a former friend/coworker for defamation of character at a former job - I no longer work there and she does. I had a pretty significant event happen to me and she spread it all over work, I think knowingly telling people who liked to gossip. It got back to me and now I am worried what else she has said to others. I am tempted to get a restraining order but I am not sure if that will keep her mouth shut or not. Any thoughts on this? I contacted an old friend from the HR department and haven't heard back yet. This woman is also extremely vindictive and will most likely try to retaliate against me contacting HR if she finds out too. Any thoughts?

quincy

Denver

Hello All~ I have a couple questions about what exactly my options might be to a former friend/coworker for defamation of character at a former job - I no longer work there and she does. I had a pretty significant event happen to me and she spread it all over work, I think knowingly telling people who liked to gossip. It got back to me and now I am worried what else she has said to others. I am tempted to get a restraining order but I am not sure if that will keep her mouth shut or not. Any thoughts on this? I contacted an old friend from the HR department and haven't heard back yet. This woman is also extremely vindictive and will most likely try to retaliate against me contacting HR if she finds out too. Any thoughts?
You cannot prevent someone from speaking. No court will order this. You can only act on what has already been said and, if what has been said is true, there is very little to act on from a defamation standpoint.

You could possibly have an harassment or invasion of privacy claim or some other action available to pursue - depending on the facts of the significant event that happened to you - but nothing you have posted so far indicates these apply.

You might want to search out the term "prior restraint" to see why a restraining order will not assist you, if your intent is to have this former friend of yours "keep her mouth shut."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">