• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character/Retaliation/Negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

metsjetscanes

I am in the state of Florida, and my children's principal called me a racist at a PTA board meeting. I filed a complaint with the school district. 2 weeks later, the school called Department of Children and Families on me for an incident that happened on the playground at the after school program (at the school). I feel that I am being retaliated against for filing a complaint. The after school program was also negligent since they were not watching my son and had no idea he was injured. I think I have a good case, but am very low on money. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

quincy

I am in the state of Florida, and my children's principal called me a racist at a PTA board meeting. I filed a complaint with the school district. 2 weeks later, the school called Department of Children and Families on me for an incident that happened on the playground at the after school program (at the school). I feel that I am being retaliated against for filing a complaint. The after school program was also negligent since they were not watching my son and had no idea he was injured. I think I have a good case, but am very low on money. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
A case for what? Are you thinking of suing the principal for calling you a racist at a board meeting or are you thinking of suing the school for filing a complaint over the playground incident?

A complaint made to the Department of Children and Families will be investigated but the complaint itself cannot (generally) be used as the basis for a defamation claim. Complaints that are filed are neither true nor false, for one thing, and they are also covered by privilege (a qualified immunity from suit).

From the little you have written, the incident on the playground (whatever it involved) and the PTA board meeting (whatever that involved) appear to be two separate matters. I would not try to connect them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">