• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character, Slander or far from it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

retailcraziness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I currently work for a retail/grocery chain. I am a department manager. I recently took an internship at another company that would have me working m-f 8-5pm. I stepped down to a clerk position. My availability has gone to just weekends. In the past, my old boss would let me work the weekends only so I could work at the internship. My store manager told me that they wouldn't accomodate for my schedule and that I needed to find another store that would take me. So I called around and I found that a few other department managers would take me, even if it was for the weekends. After I found the store that would take me I went to my store manager and told her that I had a few store that would take me. She said that I would have to see if her boss would approve it.

I have a few friends that are department managers in different stores. I found out that my store manager called their store managers and from what I understand, they no longer want to take me. I have a great track record and almost no reason for me not to be accepted at another store. I have a feeling that my store manager is telling other managers not to take me because I'm not a great clerk. What can I do in this sitatution and can I claim slander or defamation of character?

If I do not get the transfer, she will probably term me for absences because I won't able to work my normal schedule. Any advice?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is neither slander nor defamation. That is her opinion. To which she is entitled under the law.

Advice if the transfer does not come through? Work your normal schedule or find other employment that will work around your internship. Your employer has no legal obligation to schedule you at your convenience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">