• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation per se

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I moved to NH, but this happened in Maine. Thank you for your help.
If you have an attorney (and you indicated you did for the case in New Hampshire), you need to rely on his advice. Cases out of Maine may only work to confuse you.

If you have moved from New Hampshire to Maine because of the situation in New Hampshire, and you are looking to sue over the false accusations made about you, you will still be suing the individual in New Hampshire.

So please explain exactly what is going on so I can find applicable cases.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you have an attorney (and you indicated you did for the case in New Hampshire), you need to rely on his advice. Cases out of Maine may only work to confuse you.

If you have moved from New Hampshire to Maine because of the situation in New Hampshire, and you are looking to sue over the false accusations made about you, you will still be suing the individual in New Hampshire.

So please explain exactly what is going on so I can find applicable cases.

Thanks.
The OP will have us believe that all of this happened in Maine, but now he's in New Hampshire. Strange how that tidbit only comes up now...

quincy

The OP will have us believe that all of this happened in Maine, but now he's in New Hampshire. Strange how that tidbit only comes up now...
Oh. Yes. It appears I am reading a lot of the postings wrong.

If firebird worked as a baseball coach in Maine and not in New Hampshire (as was presumed by his state name in his previous thread), and if firebird lived in and was defamed in Maine and hired an attorney in Maine to sue the person who libeled him on Facebook (and was already in the process of depositions in June and talking mediation and settlement), Maine's laws on defamation would apply (unless his accuser did not live in Maine and the suit was filed somewhere else entirely).

I would certainly like to hear what exactly is going on with the state name changes. If firebird already has an attorney assisting him, however, I don't mind providing relevant case law but I will not second-guess anything his attorney is or is not doing with his case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">