• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation per se

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

86firebird, you can add your state name and your question about defamation per se by using the "edit post" feature found in your original post or by using the "reply to thread" feature. The preview post function on this site tends to delete posts on submission (for some mysterious reason) which is what probably happened when you submitted your post.

Ahh. You added a question. Is your concern a personal one?

Maine has defamation cases where what was communicated was decided by the court to be defamation per se (or defamation on its face). With defamatory per se statements, reputational injury is presumed. If a defamatory statement can have two meanings (one that is innocent and one that is damaging), it will then be up to a jury to decide in what sense the words were understood by the public.

Last edited:

86firebird

Quincy

My concerns have changed as I have not found alot of case history for NH, therefore I am interested in a neighboring state. Thank you in advance for your help.

quincy

My concerns have changed as I have not found alot of case history for NH, therefore I am interested in a neighboring state. Thank you in advance for your help.
That does not work for defamation cases. The laws on defamation are different in every state. I recommend you contact an attorney in your area of New Hampshire and not concern yourself with case law out of Maine.

Proserpina

Excuse me?
Rough translation: You have been advised that Maine case-law is inapplicable to your situation, therefore it's probably best for you to start searching for inapplicable case-law yourself rather than asking the very kind volunteers to do so on your behalf.

quincy

Quincy, can you still give me some links to Maine case history?
I can provide some Maine defamation cases for you to review, 86firebird.

First can you tell me how false accusations made about you in New Hampshire now apply to you in Maine? Has your situation changed from what it was when you posted a month ago?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">