• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation/slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slayboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona,

I was involved in a probate case a person on the other side in a meeting told the court investigator that I was in prison twice for Arson among other false statements. This was done to make me look bad and also to get my mother to think I was a bad person and change her will and POA from me being soul proprietor and it worked. This has cost me money for lawyers, problems for my family etc. The statement can be proven untrue as I have a clean criminal record. Can I sue as the false accusations are recorded in court documents.

Just Blue

I was involved in a probate case a person on the other side in a meeting told the court investigator that I was in prison twice for Arson among other false statements. This was done to make me look bad and also to get my mother to think I was a bad person and change her will and POA from me being soul proprietor and it worked. This has cost me money for lawyers, problems for my family etc. The statement can be proven untrue as I have a clean criminal record. Can I sue as the false accusations are recorded in court documents.
Yes. You have the right to sue. Can't say you will win...but you can sue.
Blue

quincy

It depends on the type of meeting you were in whether the false statements made about you could support a defamation claim. Statements made in court proceedings are absolutely privileged, which provides the speaker with an absolute immunity from suit. But not all statements made in court are privileged nor are all statements made in court-related meetings privileged.

Facts can matter, including the context within which the statements were communicated.

Do you know if the "person on the other side" ever made these or similar false statements about you before and elsewhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">