• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sptsbabe

What is the name of your state? California

My cousin recently ended a relationship with her long time partner. It was the standard "another woman" story. My cousin is a teacher in a catholic school and is very involved with the Girl Scouts. To spare the long story let's just say that her ex partner's new girlfriend wrote an e-mail to my cousin threatening to reveal her sexual orientation to her employer (the catholic school) if she talked to mutual friends about the situation. The other day she found out that the woman sent letters to my cousin's mother and sister and a teacher she works with revealing that my cousin is gay. Her mother and sister didn't know. Thankfully the teacher did. However, my cousin is now deathly afraid that this woman is going to tell her school. If the school finds out she is gay they will almost certainly fire her. Does my cousin have any recourse here? Can she sue her for revealing personal information? Is it considered slander/libel? My cousin has all the original threatening e-mails/letters if this makes a difference.

T.G.
(sptsbabe)
[email protected]What is the name of your state?

fairisfair

Tt is only slander or libel, if it is false, and if the other person knows that it is false.

Threatening to tell the truth, is not a crime.

seniorjudge

sptsbabe said:
What is the name of your state? California

My cousin recently ended a relationship with her long time partner. It was the standard "another woman" story. My cousin is a teacher in a catholic school and is very involved with the Girl Scouts. To spare the long story let's just say that her ex partner's new girlfriend wrote an e-mail to my cousin threatening to reveal her sexual orientation to her employer (the catholic school) if she talked to mutual friends about the situation. The other day she found out that the woman sent letters to my cousin's mother and sister and a teacher she works with revealing that my cousin is gay. Her mother and sister didn't know. Thankfully the teacher did. However, my cousin is now deathly afraid that this woman is going to tell her school. If the school finds out she is gay they will almost certainly fire her. Does my cousin have any recourse here? Can she sue her for revealing personal information? Is it considered slander/libel? My cousin has all the original threatening e-mails/letters if this makes a difference.

T.G.
(sptsbabe)
[email protected]What is the name of your state?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=884061#post884061

There are thousands of posts similar to yours so I have prepared a standard answer:

Get a lawyer.

Invest $20K and three years.

Sue the bad people for defamation.

If you win, expect them to keep doing it.

If you lose, expect them to keep doing it.

Stand by for other opinions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">