• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any rights here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisawoo

I'm an independent contractor w/ a large social media following. I generally work in Ca doing marketing and as a film/tv actress.

I was hired by a marketing company at a specific rate due to my public personality and following. After completing the first day on site, even staying an additional 2 hrs, I was notified that the rate changed, & would be significantly lower than what I originally signed. The company stated they notified me & the other influencers, but this was universally incorrect. I was soon released from my position due to this issue, & the clients not only slandered my name & professionalism (which is false), but is refusing to pay my additional hours worked. Do I have any rights?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm an independent contractor w/ a large social media following. I generally work in Ca doing marketing and as a film/tv actress.

I was hired by a marketing company at a specific rate due to my public personality and following. After completing the first day on site, even staying an additional 2 hrs, I was notified that the rate changed, & would be significantly lower than what I originally signed. The company stated they notified me & the other influencers, but this was universally incorrect. I was soon released from my position due to this issue, & the clients not only slandered my name & professionalism (which is false), but is refusing to pay my additional hours worked. Do I have any rights?
Sue the bad guys in small claims court.

quincy

If you signed a contract agreeing to work for one price and you performed work under the terms of that contract, the marketing company cannot then change the rate of pay previously agreed to without getting your signature on a new contract with the new terms. You should have your original contract personally reviewed by an attorney in your area for advice on enforcing the original terms.

Exactly what has been said about you by the clients that you believe is false and defamatory? What demonstrable reputational injury have you suffered as a result (how have you been affected economically and/or personally)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">