• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domain Website Violates Ill Law.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moneybleeds

Good morning. I am having trouble with a website that refuses to respect their terms of service of their own rules and the state laws that refers to internet or online technology. The name of he website that conducts hosts domain I am referring to is none other than Web Hosting by DreamHost Web Hosting: Web Sites, Domain Registration, WordPress, Ruby on Rails, all on Debian Linux!

Also, the Illinois state law of internet or communication that I am referring to is this:

720 ILCS 135/  Harassing and Obscene Communications Act.

The incident:

Over the few months has passed. I have stumbled on phone calls of not only pranks but also telemarketing scams which has effected my phone bill with the lost of $200. I took heed into the investigation of where this source was coming from. It was a website where it was conducted by what appears to be a young man recording emails, IP addresses, ISP, and even names perhaps.

At the end of the website I saw his email. I have contacted him in regards to the problems where he was clearly the source of. Rather instead, all I had received back was an insulting reply and "lol there's nothing you can do about it".

Took some time to do some heavy digging. Under the whoisdomain.com it revealed who was responsible of the domain hosted websites. It started out with three, until it led into one as mentioned above DreamHost which they have instructed me to contact their department abuse ticket.

However, after a few weeks has passed they have only advised me to seek lawyers or some sort of police charge in Florida in order to take down or suspend the censorship of this website.

What have I done over the passing time:

I have filed a complaint of the Chicago Ill Better Business Bureau. A ticket has been submitted to the any domain responsible to his hosted website, but again Dreamhost is clearly responsible but refuses to carry out doing anything.

For more information on what this website is, please send me a message for other people's protection it will not be shared on here publicly.

justalayman

Not real sure what is happening in your situation but two observances:

1. an entity is not required to enforce their TOS or rules. It is not illegal for them to not enforce them

2. I do not see the law cited as applicable. It refers to harassment and lewd or obscene conduct.

Moneybleeds

Well, the problem is why would they want me to pay for a lawyer to take down or suspend a website that is breaking all sorts of their own terms of service and US laws? Suppose if I did hire one, what if this person makes another website with a different domain company? Do you see where I am coming from on this clarity?

justalayman

No, I don't. What in the law cited gives you the right to demand a website be taken down?

and as I said: a website does not have to enforce or abide by their own TOS and there is nothing you can do about it.

sandyclaus

Over the few months has passed. I have stumbled on phone calls of not only pranks but also telemarketing scams which has effected my phone bill with the lost of $200. I took heed into the investigation of where this source was coming from. It was a website where it was conducted by what appears to be a young man recording emails, IP addresses, ISP, and even names perhaps.

At the end of the website I saw his email. I have contacted him in regards to the problems where he was clearly the source of. Rather instead, all I had received back was an insulting reply and "lol there's nothing you can do about it".
What exactly did this "young man" do that cost you $200 in phone bills?

You do realize that your recourse is with the person who allegedly caused you the damages, and NOT the ISP/webhost, right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please keep in mind that the BBB is a PRIVATE BUSINESS ENTITY with no enforcement powers what-so-ever. You might as well stand on the street corner and yell until you're blue in the face...has the same legal effect as a complaint to the BBB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">