• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer accusing me of stealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ridewarrior

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi,

I am a very honest hard working associate for my retail store. I buy items from time to time from the store I work at (Sometimes laptops, speakers, other items) about a week ago, I bought a laptop, legitimately with my debit card. The manager on duty sent an email (Which can be accessed by anybody in the store who checks the email) saying that he thinks that I am going to return a laptop that I bought previously that I broke, and that is why I bought this laptop. So pretty much, he was accusing me of return fraud, and stealing, an item that was in excess of $500. Outraged about this, I brought in the laptop and returned it (fully working), I went elsewhere to purchase my laptop. I also learned today through somebody that I am no longer allowed to assist at another branch of a store because "they suspect me of stealing thousands of dollars of stuff".

There is nothing I have done for them to think I am stealing, in fact, I have been rewarded for apprehending dishonest customers for stealing.

I think that they are discriminating against me, for a reason I'm not really sure of (possibly my age, I am 17 and youngest who works at this store), but I am embarrassed, and humiliated that I was openly accused of stealing in an email viewable by the entire store. I printed a copy of the email on the store letterhead, for evidence. I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice, or if we could take any legal action. My mother is also willing to help me.

P.S.

I have contacted human resources about the store manager discriminating against me by sending her a three page letter, and nothing was done. Thanks!

quincy

I think you were wise to contact the human resources manager. If you have not heard back from her, I would make a follow-up call. I would discuss with her not only the email but also what you heard about your possible connection to thefts at the other branch. It is important for you to locate the source of, and reasons behind, these stories.

Your manager should have talked to you privately, if he had concerns about your laptop purchase. He should not have sent an email to you that could be accessed and seen by others in the store. That was unprofessional, and legally risky.

To determine if the email can be seen as defamatory, however, would take a review of the email in its entirety. How something is worded makes a difference.

You and your mom could speak with an attorney in your area, and you could show the attorney the email. Whether there is any legal action to pursue (or whether any legal action would be worth pursuing) would be determined by a careful review of all of the facts.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">