• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

86firebird

NH--i am a high school baseball coach. A parent went on facebook and called me a pedophile. They were upset about their kids playing time. The slanderer has homeowners insurance with an endorsement of coverage for defamation up to $500k. Will this go to mediation? Whats a good settlement amount? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
NH--i am a high school baseball coach. A parent went on facebook and called me a pedophile. They were upset about their kids playing time. The slanderer has homeowners insurance with an endorsement of coverage for defamation up to $500k. Will this go to mediation? Whats a good settlement amount? Thanks.
You're going to need an attorney if you hope to successfully pursue this matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I did hire an attorney and sued. Depositions were just completed.
Then you may wish to ask your attorney these questions. Your attorney is familiar with all aspects of the case and will have a much better take on it than a bunch of random internet strangers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Will this go to mediation? We don't know. The crystal ball is out being cleaned.

Whats a good settlement amount? Since we know none of the details of the case, we're not in a position to evaluate that.

These are questions for your lawyer. We are not in a position to second guess him. If you don't trust your lawyer's answers, hire a different one. But there's no need to snark at strangers on the internet because they are unable to foretell the future.

quincy

First, are you a pedophile? True statements and substantially true statements are not defamatory. Defamation is the communication of false statements of fact.

If the parent has/had no basis for making the statement about you, a court in New Hampshire could judge that the statement made by the parent is defamatory per se (defamatory on its face) and monetary damages can be awarded on presumed reputational injury alone.

The amount of damages you are claiming do not have to be supported by evidence and figured to the dollar. You will want to show how you have been harmed by what was said but actual dollar damage can be approximations.

But the specific statement made about you and the context matters - and this is one area where your attorney has a major advantage over members of this forum. Your attorney has access to all of the facts. We would be doing you a disservice to provide you with advice when you have an attorney in your own jurisdiction hired to represent you in your lawsuit.

Following is a link to a New Hampshire Supreme Court case for you to review (Reginald P.Danboise, DMD & a. v. James T. Espinoza), for educational purposes only. Again as has already been advised, you should rely on your own attorney for information and direction.

https://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/3jx/2010/20090159.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">