• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook Interstate CyberStalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilibet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA/CA

My ex boyfriend on Tuesday logged into my facebook account and sent out a message to most of the men I am facebook friends with offering them an invitation to come "gangbang" my current boyfriend and I. He sent this along with naked pictures.

We work for the same company, he in California, myself in Pennsylvania. I reported this to work but since he didn't do it from a work computer, there is little they can do.

I have filed a report with my place of employment, facebook, and the federal ic website, but cyber stalking laws seem fairly vague. Is there anything I can do about this?

quincy

I believe your best bet, at this point in time, is to have an attorney review the messages sent to your Facebook friends and then, if you know for a fact that it is your ex-boyfriend who sent the messages, have the attorney send to your ex-boyfriend a letter advising him that legal action against him is being considered and will be pursued if he does not immediately cease all harassing conduct and (perhaps) destroy all of the naked photos of you that he has in his possession.

There is not much you can do to recover the naked photos that have already been sent, or to retrieve the messages. I imagine the Facebook friends who received the messages knew that they were not sent by you and that the "invitation" was not a legitimate one, so your reputation has probably not been injured enough to warrant the costs of a defamation action.

Because this is not a workplace issue, I would refrain from making it one.

And I would definitely close your current Facebook account.

Good luck.

csi7

You can make your facebook account private so your friends list is not public. To do this, click privacy options and click on friends only. You can remove people from your friends list by clicking remove as friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">