• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lula1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My sister is angry at our father for taking her out of his will. She and her son are posting all kinds of horrible things about him. Somehow, suddenly, my wife and I are getting hit with shrapnel and being defamed and libeled viciously. We have never participated in any kind of argument or name-calling or anything else negative with this woman and her son, but now for some reason we are their targets. What recourse do we have? My sister is telling blatant lies that have no relation to the truth. And what's worse, when our kids posted replies defending us, she unfriended them but then after the fact posted a message to my son, saying "Your dad is actually a drug addict and pedophile," etc. This stuff is ridiculous and extremely harmful to my reputation. I do not use drugs and am far from being a pedophile. what can we do? We are no longer friends with my sister on Facebook, but lots of other relatives and friends are. I'm afraid some acquaintances might think there is truth to this or that a rumor will start. Thank you for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, you could spend tens of dollars for a letter from an attorney demanding the postings stop. Then, you could spend tens of thousands on a libel case with no great shot at winning.

Or, you could simply be the bigger person and show a greater maturity by ignoring it.

lula1

Thank you! That is exactly what we are trying to do (be the mature ones, I mean!). We are just ignoring her and hoping that enough people see by her rantings that she is nutty. It's hard though when your reputation is being sullied.

But thanks for the reinforcement. Appreciate it.

swalsh411

It's only harmful to your reputation if you believe it. Are you concerned that your son actually believes you are a drug addict and pedophile? Even the youngest of children understand that people sometimes lie.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">