• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fake report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hfin

Does calling in a false police report on someone constitute defamation or harassment? The police came, investigated and left with an apology for wasting my time. How can I find out who made the call?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does calling in a false police report on someone constitute defamation or harassment? The police came, investigated and left with an apology for wasting my time. How can I find out who made the call?
1: US Law Only
2: In the US, you have no case.

AlexB18

Are you sure it was a report or was it just a call? You have absolute privilege in reporting crimes which means even if it's done in malice/falsely, they can't be held liable for it. However, if they continued to prosecute for malicious purposes and without reasonable cause, etc... it could be malicious prosecution in your state. If they were using the system just to harass you and you can PROVE that by a preponderance of the evidence, you could sue for abuse of process.

However, it sounds like it's just something you should let go.

quincy

All that you wrote is pretty much wrong, Alex, but the advice you gave based on all that wrongness was pretty good. ;)

That still leaves hfin to address Zigner's comment and provide the name of his state. Laws vary widely from country to country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">