• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faking a pregnancy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesr9999

New Jersey.
I have been separated from my wife for nearly a year. I dated someone for a while in between. A couple of months ago I broke up with her. Shortly thereafter, she told me she was pregnant, and showed me a pregnancy test. I recently was told by a friend that the test was faked, and when I asked the woman to let me talk to her doctor, she refused.

She is now threatening to go to wife wife, family, etc and tell them that I abandoned her and made her have a miscarriage.

Do I have any legal recourse or anything like harassment I can go after her for, for the 2 months she was telling me daily she was pregnant, or to stop her from bothering my family?

KJHOOK13

Restraining order

NJ Statute 2C:12-10.1 provides relief through a restraining order that prohibits the harasser (your ex-girlfriend) from having personal, written or telephone contact with you, your employees, your employer, or anyone else specified which would cause annoyance to the victim. You need to see about filing a petition to do this.

mommyof4

NJ Statute 2C:12-10.1 provides relief through a restraining order that prohibits the harasser (your ex-girlfriend) from having personal, written or telephone contact with you, your employees, your employer, or anyone else specified which would cause annoyance to the victim. You need to see about filing a petition to do this.
Of course, he can fully expect his wife to ask him why he has a restraining order against the woman.;)

jamesr9999

Well, my wife knows I was dating (we're still separated, but have remained friends are keeping the option of reconciling in the future open). Her mother is in failing health, though, and probably only has a couple of months to live, so I don't want her to have to deal with this psycho at the same time she's dealing with that . If she's been willing to lie to me for 2 months about being pregnant, God only knows what kind of stories she would make up to upset *her*.

KJHOOK13

Best Bet

Under the circumstances then you should def file for the restraining order and if the psycho has knowledge of where your estranged wife and inlaws live or how they could be contacted, then include that in your petition as it looks like NJ statute allows. Sounds like you have one of those fatal attraction things going.

mommyof4

Under the circumstances then you should def file for the restraining order and if the psycho has knowledge of where your estranged wife and inlaws live or how they could be contacted, then include that in your petition as it looks like NJ statute allows. Sounds like you have one of those fatal attraction things going.
Ahhh, nothing like bunny boilers.:cool:

OP, kudos for being honest with your wife. From your original post, it sounded like your wife was unaware of the relationship with this woman. Good luck and best wishes for your marriage.

ecmst12

You can't 'make' someone have a miscarriage, outside of physical violence. Assuming you have been truthful with your wife about your activities while you were separated, she can say anything she wants, won't really hurt you. She has no legal cause of action against you for breaking up with her - you weren't married and there is apparently no baby, so you had no legal obligations to her. She is just making empty threats.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">