• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false allegations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ronrico

What is the name of your state? new mexico

A former employee of mine recently quit her job to take another position out of state. Several weeks after this, she wrote a letter to my boss making absurd allegations about me and another employee. Without even making an inquiry into the matter, my boss apparently believed her and I'm now under a formal investigation. My pc was confiscated by Law Enforcement and in general, I was publicly humilated during the process. It won't take but a few days or a week to determine that I have not done what I was accused of doing. What recourse do I have once I"m cleared regarding the lady that started all of this?

JETX

ronrico said:
What recourse do I have once I"m cleared regarding the lady that started all of this?
You can spend $10,000 plus dollars trying to pursue a defamation lawsuit against her.
However, if what she claimed is true, or stated as her opinion, or her true belief at the time, you have little, if any, chance of winning.

M

meganproser

The big issue is, did she make these allegations as though she knew them to be true for a FACT? Or did she tell your boss that she SUSPECTED certain things? Unless she told him she knew these things for a fact, she did not defame you...she merely told your boss of her suspicions.

If you have a stong enough case, you may wish to file the suit yourself. It can be done, but it will involve hundreds of hours of your time if you really want to take it to Trial.

M

meganproser

One other thing. The woman's "true belief at the time" does not matter if she made false allegations and indicated she KNEW them to be true.

She either had evidence of your guilt when she made the allegations or she didn't. If she only had her "belief", she should have made that clear when she relayed her thoughts to a third party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">