• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer inquiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpinmi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was fired last year with no reason given; one day the owner was telling me how great I was doing, he was buying me a laptop, helping me with my new home, large Christmas bonus, etc. and the next he simply said it was my last day.

I collected unemployment, and also did some part-time work which I claimed. I found out recently that my former employer has been calling people I know through that part-time work (not employers, just people who have children at the events) to ask if I had worked & when. Is this legal?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was fired last year with no reason given; one day the owner was telling me how great I was doing, he was buying me a laptop, helping me with my new home, large Christmas bonus, etc. and the next he simply said it was my last day.

I collected unemployment, and also did some part-time work which I claimed. I found out recently that my former employer has been calling people I know through that part-time work (not employers, just people who have children at the events) to ask if I had worked & when. Is this legal?

Perfectly legal.

Not sure what he's trying to do, but it's legal to ask questions.

justalayman

Perfectly legal.

Not sure what he's trying to do, but it's legal to ask questions.
I suspect he is merely trying to avoid paying, or seek repayment of, the UI claim and suspects the OP was not reporting the income from these various short term jobs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">