• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassed by Teacher

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JudyG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?AL There is a lady that is ordering products, magazines, and online subscriptions using my name, phone #,address, and email address. This is in addition to leaving harassing messages and her road rage. When doing an IP search I found that she is using the school's computer system to do this. She is a 1st grade teacher. What rights do I have?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?AL There is a lady that is ordering products, magazines, and online subscriptions using my name, phone #,address, and email address. This is in addition to leaving harassing messages and her road rage. When doing an IP search I found that she is using the school's computer system to do this. She is a 1st grade teacher. What rights do I have?
**A: why is this happening? What did you do to her?

JudyG

Here is the full story (kind of lengthy) Last April I talked to her ex-husband on the phone.....no date no nothing however they were divorced at any rate. She has his info so she was able to go through his phone records on line. In addition to all of the other people she called, she contacted me several times from her cell and from the school that she works at on May 1st, 2008 during her planning period. She was yelling at me threatening me and what not while her students were coming in and out asking questions. I told her that she was being unprofessional and that the County would have her job if they knew she was harassing people in front of her class. She asked to meet me out and I hung up on her. The next thing I know she has taken out a warrant against me for harassment and she contacted me, threatened me, not vise versa. We have been to court already. They put in on the docket for 12 months and did not even give us a chance to speak. Now she is ordering magazines and books in my name. She has signed me up for obscene websites all with my work email address from her school computer during her planning period. She has ordered books to be sent to my mothers address. She drives by my parents house videotaping and taking pics, for what I dont know. It has been going on for almost a year now. The county investigator has already talked to her and she assured him it would stop. Now she continues to post slander against me on her myspace and when she sees me out she gives me the loser sign and etc. All in front of my two small children. Any suggestions as to how to make her leave me alone? I really dont want to present it to the school board because I dont want to take anyones job, but she is constantly tormenting me.

quincy

I suggest you contact an attorney in your area and go over all the legal options available to you.

Certainly an harassment/stalking order could be issued preventing her from further acts against you, a defamation action is possible for the libelous comments made about you on MySpace (if you can demonstrate reputational injury has resulted from these comments and you feel spending the time and money that such an action would require would be worthwhile), and an identity theft/fraud suit could potentially be filed against her, for ordering items in your name.

If I were you, I would file a police report, detailing the harassment and identity theft. Then I would contact an attorney to see which of the above options makes the most sense in your situation, based on all of the facts you present. A cease-and-desist letter drafted by an attorney and sent to the teacher, detailing the various legal actions that can be pursued, may be effective, as well.

Good luck.

JudyG

Harrassment by Teacher

The police investigator actually called her into his office, read her rights, and advised her of the consequences of her actions if I chose to pursue it. She admitted to the acts and assured him there would be no more issues. Since then she has continued with the slander and I am still receiving 2-3 magazine subscriptions weekly at my work place, calls on my cell phone, and junk emails daily. (after blocking and cancelling them).:(

quincy

The subscriptions will continue, more than likely, until each subscription expires, although you can try to contact the subscription offices of each magazine yourself to request cancellation of delivery. This may (or may not) stop the deliveries.

If this woman was not scared into stopping the harassment after talking to the police, then a cease-and-desist letter from an attorney will probably not work to get her to stop, either. I suggest you file another stalking/harassment report with the police and move ahead to get a restraining order. With a violation of a restraining order, she can be arrested.

And change your cell phone number and email address.

JudyG

Thanks. I will look into my options. She now has someone within my work place watching me as well and relaying info back to her......good times. I hope this mess ends soon.

cyjeff

Thanks. I will look into my options. She now has someone within my work place watching me as well and relaying info back to her......good times. I hope this mess ends soon.
I would make sure that the person in your workplace understands that you are pursuing legal action against this person and that anyone that helps will be brought into the suit as well.

quincy

I do not recommend that you make any legal threats against the person in your workplace.

Pursue the restraining order and see if that clears up your problem.

Good luck.

JudyG

Thanks guys! I am definately pursuing a restraining order.....she was videotaping me at my house this morning.

cyjeff

I do not recommend that you make any legal threats against the person in your workplace.

Pursue the restraining order and see if that clears up your problem.

Good luck.
Excuse me, I phrased my response poorly.

I meant it to say something along the lines of including the coworker in the suit.

quincy

What would this co-worker be brought into any suit for, cyjeff? Free speech?? The co-worker is allowed to talk to friends and she is allowed to talk about her workplace to these friends and she is allowed to talk about her co-workers to these friends.

Good luck with the restraining order, Judy. That will hopefully prevent this woman from harassing you any more. And if she DOES continue to harass you after a restraining order has been issued, you just need to make one call to the police and she can be arrested for violating the order.

cyjeff

What would this co-worker be brought into any suit for, cyjeff? Free speech?? The co-worker is allowed to talk to friends and she is allowed to talk about her workplace to these friends and she is allowed to talk about her co-workers to these friends.
But she is no more allowed to participate in the harassment of another than the original person in question.

Yes, she can gossip. No, she cannot provide intel to aid someone else in their illegal act without being an accessory to that illegal act.

I can drive by a store. I can observe the security set up. I can discuss it with whomever I wish ... all legal.

If I, instead, observe the security set up to provide that information to someone planning to rob that store, I can be viewed as an accessory.

Two people can be as guilty as one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">