• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment and broadcasting of personal information on a video game

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nathanial_hoge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

Both parties live in California, which is where the HQ is for this game (in the US)

Individual A constantly harasses Individual B publicly in a video game. Individual A has recently discovered very personal information regarding a medical condition of Individual B and is now broadcasting this in very derogatory ways server-wide (everyone can see it). Is there any way to file a harassment suit and have the company (which is not liable for content of other gamers) provide the necessary information (IP from which can be derived the address of Individual A) for the purposes of serving any type of subpoena or order of protection?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh brother - perhaps person A or B or A+B need to find a different game to play...or maybe just grow up a bit?

nathanial_hoge

I'm looking for legitimate legal advice please and thank you. Easy to say when you don't play. Some people spend thousands on watercraft or this or that, for us, our investments in entertainment are in this game. I have seen folks on here with over 30K spent in a matter of a few years. So, if you don't mind, consider my question as a question and not as a source for belittlement.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I'm looking for legitimate legal advice please and thank you. Easy to say when you don't play. Some people spend thousands on watercraft or this or that, for us, our investments in entertainment are in this game. I have seen folks on here with over 30K spent in a matter of a few years. So, if you don't mind, consider my question as a question and not as a source for belittlement.
Dude, seriously, as someone who was once stalked on Usenet and called/accused of doing/being everything but a lady; and with the stalker thinking he was posting my name, address and phone number on Usenet (right name, the rest wrong), sometimes you just got to learn to let it go. Do you honestly think that these people you're playing games with care what a troll says? :cool:

nathanial_hoge

Dude, seriously, as someone who was once stalked on Usenet and called/accused of doing/being everything but a lady; and with the stalker thinking he was posting my name, address and phone number on Usenet (right name, the rest wrong), sometimes you just got to learn to let it go. Do you honestly think that these people you're playing games with care what a troll says? :cool:
I don't care what others think, what I care about is that the person in question being harassed is my significant other and is being forced daily to re-live a horrific event from her past.

Zigner

I don't care what others think, what I care about is that the person in question being harassed is my significant other and is being forced daily to re-live a horrific event from her past.
Yet, said SO continues going back for more. Perhaps SO needs a bit of therapy to figure out why s/he feels the need to allow her/himself to be degraded in such a way...

nathanial_hoge

Yet, said SO continues going back for more. Perhaps SO needs a bit of therapy to figure out why s/he feels the need to allow her/himself to be degraded in such a way...
*see above* note there is a monetary investment in this game. Assume if you will that you have paid for a membership at a golf course. It cost you a pretty penny. Every time you go there, you are harassed. Are you just going to so 'oh well, money wasted' or are you going to do something about it. I have the distinct feeling that these forums are inhabited by people that have absolutely no concept as to their purpose.

Zigner

*see above* note there is a monetary investment in this game. Assume if you will that you have paid for a membership at a golf course. It cost you a pretty penny. Every time you go there, you are harassed. Are you just going to so 'oh well, money wasted' or are you going to do something about it. I have the distinct feeling that these forums are inhabited by people that have absolutely no concept as to their purpose.
Let's use the golf course as an analogy.

If I were being continually harassed, and I had no recourse through the gold course ownership, you bet I'd stop playing there and go to a different golf course.

Your case is, of course, different...but who cares about that, right?

TigerD

California

Both parties live in California, which is where the HQ is for this game (in the US)

Individual A constantly harasses Individual B publicly in a video game. Individual A has recently discovered very personal information regarding a medical condition of Individual B and is now broadcasting this in very derogatory ways server-wide (everyone can see it). Is there any way to file a harassment suit and have the company (which is not liable for content of other gamers) provide the necessary information (IP from which can be derived the address of Individual A) for the purposes of serving any type of subpoena or order of protection?
You should sue the Government of Mexico.

Why?
Because it makes as much sense as continuing any other argument in this thread.

DC

Zigner

I have the distinct feeling that these forums are inhabited by people that have absolutely no concept as to their purpose.
I'm sorry - I missed this statement.

Please tell me...exactly what do you want to hear? I could parrot it back to you if it makes you feel better... :rolleyes:

Mass_Shyster

California

What you need to do is file for an injunction against unknown Individual A. Once you have the court case filed, you can subpoena the information from the owner of the server. Once you have the IP address, you can subpoena the ISP that controls that IP address and get the name of the person paying the bill. You can then name that person in your lawsuit.

Now you have a name to attach to your complaint for an injunction. All you have to do is prove to the court that you deserve an injunction, and there is no other way to prevent the damage being done other than an injunction.

The last legal bill I saw for an injunction was just over $12,000, and did not include subpoenas for information. The defendant didn't show, so that was just for the preparation involved. Also note that the server company and the ISP are entitled to compensation (from you) for the time required to assemble the requested information.

nathanial_hoge

What you need to do is file for an injunction against unknown Individual A. Once you have the court case filed, you can subpoena the information from the owner of the server. Once you have the IP address, you can subpoena the ISP that controls that IP address and get the name of the person paying the bill. You can then name that person in your lawsuit.

Now you have a name to attach to your complaint for an injunction. All you have to do is prove to the court that you deserve an injunction, and there is no other way to prevent the damage being done other than an injunction.

The last legal bill I saw for an injunction was just over $12,000, and did not include subpoenas for information. The defendant didn't show, so that was just for the preparation involved. Also note that the server company and the ISP are entitled to compensation (from you) for the time required to assemble the requested information.
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. This is an exact and concise answer to my question (which for the flamers was 'is there anything I can legally do about it')

For the record, I both know who individual A is, AND I have a mailing address.

Zigner

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. This is an exact and concise answer to my question (which for the flamers was 'is there anything I can legally do about it')

For the record, I both know who individual A is, AND I have a mailing address.
Some people just don't get sarcasm :rolleyes:

I've got a better idea...why don't you take that same $20,000 and have it converted to $1 bills. Then, have a HUGE bonfire. It will end up with the same result except that you may actually get some satisfaction from the fire! :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">